Discuss Using Type C MCB in domestic propertys in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Brendan.Ashford

Hi guys and girls.

I am an assistant Electrical Design Consultant and wanted to ask your opinions on a job i have been asked to look at!

We have been asked to look into a latent defect, were a Electrical contractor has installed Type C MCB on the lighting circuit in a number of domestic houses. This has be brought to light from an inspecting electrician, the work is over 3 years old. So this being under the 16th Edition Wiring regulations.

My personnel opinion is that it is good practice to put Type B MCB in on all domestic circuits, but type C MCB's are commonly used for fluorescent lighting in commercial premises and may not trip if a filament (incandescent) lamp ruptures, so this may be why the electrical contractor has done this. i.e health and safety reasons :confused:

I say this because:-

Type B MCB trip between 3 and 5 times full load current
Type C MCB trip between 5 and 10 times full load current
Type D MCB trip between 10 and 20 times full load current

I don’t know what the short circuit rating is of the Type C MCB's installed but for this discussion let’s use 6KA.

What are your feelings about it? and can you point me in the right direction with in the 16th Edition Regs book? So i can reference it with in my report!!! Also if an NICEIC inspector is able to give me their opinion I would appreciate it!

Truth Fully speaking nothing wrong with it!!

i brought this up with my Assessment Officer with ELECSA in January and he said Type C are perfectly fine in domestic property's,

only consideration is the size of the cable, he said some thing about 6a type C should be really installed on 1.5mm cable but as long as ZS is met and all test OK no problems..

other than that i think installing type B has just been the norm and accepted as British Way of doing domestic and even some suppliers only make C type as standard in RCBO's

also

just found this

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...ations/5152-dangers-type-c-domestic-help.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Type C is great for lighting circuits..... Stops the nuisance trips on flourecent start-up..... AND stop the tripouts when halogen bulbs blow.

As long as the required disconnection time is met for the circuit concerned it can be a bs 60898 type B/C/D..3871 type 1/2/3...3036 semi enclosed...etc/etc...the only consideration as far as Bs 7671 is concerned is disconnection times.
The inspecting electrician is talking out of his posterior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to every one who has given their opinion on this subject, you have been a greate help. Now just to turn our words into a report, and refence the regs a couple of times! Job for tomorow i think!

Reply to Using Type C MCB in domestic propertys in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock