Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Van racking inspiration in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I've just brought a LWB transit custom double cab van and going to get my wood butcher mate to rack the back out etc. Been thinking of putting in a false floor to slide steps under and shelving down one side. Would any one care to put photos up of the their setup so I can get a few ideas. I know we've had similar threads before but thought I would start a new one. Will probably put a few sockets in for charging batteries on way to jobs and some led strips.

I found this thread on a transit forum and was thinking of something similar but not putting the floor so high.

Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Our New Custom and our "Custom" Racking - https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=143451

2. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the link. I also have to rack out my crew cab SWB and I'll be doing it across the tops of the wheel arches like in one example in that thread. The reason being is that I have discovered that I can fit 6 deep crates underneath to organise all my gear in, and still have room above for tool boxes and other gubbins.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I have used a van before with a shallow false floor for steps and it's a very useful idea without cutting down on a lot of room.
    Another idea I have seen before is to mount a van vault in and install the false floor around it so the vault is semi recessed.

http://www.protectavan.co.uk/sites/default/files/DSC00526.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rosco

Rosco Regular EF Member

Definitely have the false floor but where the steps end towards the cab you could block that off and create two draws for either sliding door also this will stop your steps disappearing if you have to brake too hard :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leesparkykent

As its the double cab/crew van the side doors are for the back seats and has a bulkhead behind them. The only access to the back is the back doors. Like this on, my one is exactly the same but black.

http://www.crewvanhire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/P9190365-300x225.jpg

6. Leesparkykent

I like that idea :) I've also just brought a roof rack and pipe carrier from vanguard, went for the lined pipe to hopefully stop conduit/trunking from getting grubby.

7. Rosco

Rosco Regular EF Member

Apologies that'll teach me for not reading properly :confused: I've never had a crew cab before is there much room in the back to still have a good van load or would it be purely essentials?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Leesparkykent

Its not bad mate really, I went for the LWB so get the extra bit of room. Here's a link to give you a rough idea of size

http://surreyvancentre.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FordTransitCustom2014-4k-all.jpg

Its handy if you have a few lads going to the same site and for picking the kids up when needed. I have a site starting near you in a few months in Sutton valence so will be handy for four of us in one van.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I have a 6 seat SWB vivaro and there is still plenty of room for my modest enterprise.
    I get 6 crates of parts, 2 toolboxes, 1 toolbag, half a dozen reels of cable, 6 tread steps, and there is still room for lots more.
    A LWB crew van would see you with probably almost as much space as a SWB standard van.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Off topic.

I've got a custom on hire, fully loaded. It's great.

But the fuel, the fuel! It's terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Leesparkykent

Lead foot? Having a quick look, most reviews are averaging 46MPG..Is that optimistic?

• Like Like x 1
  12. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

The fuel is what put me off the custom when I was looking for a new van, people who have had them have all said they are really thirsty, I went for a Vivaro in the end which i get about 45 mpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leesparkykent

I have a custom but ended up giving it one of the lads to use so not really noticed the MPG and I just whizzed about in a Peugeot partner which I'm now getting rid of. I hope it's not that bad :eek:

14. Leesparkykent

Have you racked it out?

15. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Yes very. I have a Custom and get an overall average of 33mpg measured fill to fill (the on-board display is about 2mpg optimistic). That's a mix of mostly shortish trips, but not much traffic queuing. Not heavily loaded and not driven hard. It's done less than 20k and appears to be getting slightly better with use. The most I've ever had on one fill is 38mpg which was doing some longer trips.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Leesparkykent

Cheers HandySparks... Fuel aside do you think its a good van?

17. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

46 no chance. Mines doing 32 with about 500KG in the back doing 80% motorway mileage.

A bluemotion transport I had was almost touching 40.

It's a great van though, I'll be sad to see it go. Heated seats, auto wipes etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Oh yes. I have a L1H1 155 Limited van. Smooth, quiet, quick. Lovely to drive once you get used to the slightly high gearing.

Mind you, anything would seem refined after the Mk6 base model Transit that I had for the previous 9 years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    I just got a Transit T350 Lwb med roof crew van, just gonna shelve it down one side and across the bulkhead, from about halfway up, so I can get the vacuum up against the bulkhead, not going for the false floor as it's so high up already lol gonna have to get a step I think lol

Got the vanguard maxi too, but got a roof rack for 1/3 of the price of the van guard one, though it doesn't look as tidy as the vanguard one.

Going for the one side only I am looking at around 15" deep shelving, so beside the wheel arch under the racking I'm gonna get 3 sections one at 4ft, 5ft and 6ft to hold fluorescent tubes in. And thinking of an extra battery, charging point and inverter for charging 18v batteries on the go.
    Was thinking of hooks on the side that's not being racked, to hang tails and other such items on. Will keep an eye on this thread for anymore ideas.

Health to drive with the new van Lee.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tomspark93

tomspark93 Electrician's Arms

• Like Like x 4
  21. Phil Thompson

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    I like that idea of having the MCB's and RCBO's on the door panel, have seen them on the sides of shelving where you have your tubes of stuff, I was thinking to put the battery charger on that spot and a wee box shelf for the batteries that need charged. But that's a great use of dead space there Tom.

I've 5 led flexi strips to stick in on jobs here, so whatever's left over is going on for Lighting the rear of the van lol

Put the vanguard maxi in the centre of the roof rack too, so each side is easily accessible, see a lot of guys with them or soil stacks on 1 side and either have to reach across a set of ladders or across the pipe carriers to use the rest of the roof rack.

Thinking to put a bar up at the top of the clear side in the back for the rolls of flex that you only need a few metres at a time, so it doesn't get buried under T&E all the time.

But it's the wee small ideas you see in lads vans that are the most useful I find. Anyone else have any more? Please share.

• Like Like x 2
  22. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

I used to have the under floor storage for steps on a previous van. The problem I found was that I do a lot of on street parking, and found it difficult to load/unload if someone parked behind you.

23. Leader

Leader Electrician's Arms

Great ideas, I want to do this with my van too as everything gets in a mess very quickly. The problem is I share it with my partner who is a painter decorator and just throws **** in! At least if I have the shelves they'll stay organised.

24. Leesparkykent

Started a bit of racking today...ended up buying a ply shelving from fleabay and putting some timber down and ply for the floor so I can get steps under. Going to put a shelf across the bulk head and put in some led strips and a socket off an inverter for charging batteries on the move. Went for a van guard roof rack and their maxi lined tube so conduit, trunking etc shouldn't get grubby.

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

25. Phil Thompson

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    Looks the part mate. I just got mine pretty much finished last night, need to get an inverter fitted for same purpose as yourself, got an extra dual charger for it, just need to buy an inverter, what one you thinking on yourself? I was thinking on a 2-3kw one then could do without a generator if added a second battery and charge kit.

26. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I'm not sure if I am green with envy that you can carry so little stock (my nearest wholesalers are over 20 miles away)...but I'm lost as to what you are planning to do with the other 2/3rds of the inside of the van?

27. Leesparkykent

that's just a few essentials for a job I had to do this afternoon...wasn't much point chucking it all back in to come back out to carry on with it :) do you mean the other Side of the bulkhead?