Discuss Van racking inspiration in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Leesparkykent

Esteemed
Reaction score
I've just brought a LWB transit custom double cab van and going to get my wood butcher mate to rack the back out etc. Been thinking of putting in a false floor to slide steps under and shelving down one side. Would any one care to put photos up of the their setup so I can get a few ideas. I know we've had similar threads before but thought I would start a new one. Will probably put a few sockets in for charging batteries on way to jobs and some led strips.

I found this thread on a transit forum and was thinking of something similar but not putting the floor so high.

Ford Transit Forum • View topic - Our New Custom and our "Custom" Racking - https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=143451

Thanks for the link. I also have to rack out my crew cab SWB and I'll be doing it across the tops of the wheel arches like in one example in that thread. The reason being is that I have discovered that I can fit 6 deep crates underneath to organise all my gear in, and still have room above for tool boxes and other gubbins.

Definitely have the false floor but where the steps end towards the cab you could block that off and create two draws for either sliding door also this will stop your steps disappearing if you have to brake too hard :D

Definitely have the false floor but where the steps end towards the cab you could block that off and create two draws for either sliding door also this will stop your steps disappearing if you have to brake too hard :D

As its the double cab/crew van the side doors are for the back seats and has a bulkhead behind them. The only access to the back is the back doors. Like this on, my one is exactly the same but black.

http://www.crewvanhire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/P9190365-300x225.jpg

I have used a van before with a shallow false floor for steps and it's a very useful idea without cutting down on a lot of room.
Another idea I have seen before is to mount a van vault in and install the false floor around it so the vault is semi recessed.

http://www.protectavan.co.uk/sites/default/files/DSC00526.JPG

I like that idea :) I've also just brought a roof rack and pipe carrier from vanguard, went for the lined pipe to hopefully stop conduit/trunking from getting grubby.

Apologies that'll teach me for not reading properly :confused: I've never had a crew cab before is there much room in the back to still have a good van load or would it be purely essentials?

Its not bad mate really, I went for the LWB so get the extra bit of room. Here's a link to give you a rough idea of size

http://surreyvancentre.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/FordTransitCustom2014-4k-all.jpg

Its handy if you have a few lads going to the same site and for picking the kids up when needed. I have a site starting near you in a few months in Sutton valence so will be handy for four of us in one van.

Apologies that'll teach me for not reading properly :confused: I've never had a crew cab before is there much room in the back to still have a good van load or would it be purely essentials?

I have a 6 seat SWB vivaro and there is still plenty of room for my modest enterprise.
I get 6 crates of parts, 2 toolboxes, 1 toolbag, half a dozen reels of cable, 6 tread steps, and there is still room for lots more.
A LWB crew van would see you with probably almost as much space as a SWB standard van.

The fuel is what put me off the custom when I was looking for a new van, people who have had them have all said they are really thirsty, I went for a Vivaro in the end which i get about 45 mpg

I have a custom but ended up giving it one of the lads to use so not really noticed the MPG and I just whizzed about in a Peugeot partner which I'm now getting rid of. I hope it's not that bad :eek:

Lead foot? Having a quick look, most reviews are averaging 46MPG..Is that optimistic?
Yes very. I have a Custom and get an overall average of 33mpg measured fill to fill (the on-board display is about 2mpg optimistic). That's a mix of mostly shortish trips, but not much traffic queuing. Not heavily loaded and not driven hard. It's done less than 20k and appears to be getting slightly better with use. The most I've ever had on one fill is 38mpg which was doing some longer trips.

Yes very. I have a Custom and get an overall average of 33mpg measured fill to fill (the on-board display is about 2mpg optimistic). That's a mix of mostly shortish trips, but not much traffic queuing. Not heavily loaded and not driven hard. It's done less than 20k and appears to be getting slightly better with use. The most I've ever had on one fill is 38mpg which was doing some longer trips.
Cheers HandySparks... Fuel aside do you think its a good van?

Lead foot? Having a quick look, most reviews are averaging 46MPG..Is that optimistic?

46 no chance. Mines doing 32 with about 500KG in the back doing 80% motorway mileage.

A bluemotion transport I had was almost touching 40.

It's a great van though, I'll be sad to see it go. Heated seats, auto wipes etc.

Cheers HandySparks... Fuel aside do you think its a good van?
Oh yes. I have a L1H1 155 Limited van. Smooth, quiet, quick. Lovely to drive once you get used to the slightly high gearing.

Mind you, anything would seem refined after the Mk6 base model Transit that I had for the previous 9 years.

I just got a Transit T350 Lwb med roof crew van, just gonna shelve it down one side and across the bulkhead, from about halfway up, so I can get the vacuum up against the bulkhead, not going for the false floor as it's so high up already lol gonna have to get a step I think lol

Got the vanguard maxi too, but got a roof rack for 1/3 of the price of the van guard one, though it doesn't look as tidy as the vanguard one.

Going for the one side only I am looking at around 15" deep shelving, so beside the wheel arch under the racking I'm gonna get 3 sections one at 4ft, 5ft and 6ft to hold fluorescent tubes in. And thinking of an extra battery, charging point and inverter for charging 18v batteries on the go.
Was thinking of hooks on the side that's not being racked, to hang tails and other such items on. Will keep an eye on this thread for anymore ideas.

Health to drive with the new van Lee.

Reply to Van racking inspiration in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock