Discuss Van security - Whats best? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash_s3

After news of a local van breaking near me, we are looking to step-up security in our work vans.

At the moment im taking expensive items out of the van at night and keeping them in the house. (drills, testers, etc..) pain in the --- but at the mo better safe than sorry.

Any suggestions on stepping it up?

Rent-a- Rottweiler? seriously, though. loads of van security locks and van safes on the market. i padlock and chain all expensive gear inc. short ladders and 110v Tranny.they'll have to lug a heavy load to get anything out.

Last edited:
I have designed and built a SMS warning system from a very old phone 3 quid as soon as the gits start tampering i get an SMS message easy built and great peace of mind
After news of a local van breaking near me, we are looking to step-up security in our work vans.

At the moment im taking expensive items out of the van at night and keeping them in the house. (drills, testers, etc..) pain in the --- but at the mo better safe than sorry.

Any suggestions on stepping it up?

577362da-a32b-9caa.jpg

You mean like this. My uncles dog in his van.

people that I know swear by this company expensive though.

ARMAPLATE VAN SECURITY - Light Commercial Vehicle Security and Lock Protection

At the end of the day your just trying to slow them down, If they want in, it's going to happen. I have secret padlock eyelets that get covered as they are mounted on the bulkhead pillar in between the sliding door and passenger door once the doors are both shut there is no way of getting to the padlock save opening either door.

Last edited by a moderator:
the biggest worry is someone breaking a window and climbing through into the back as the Vivaro has no bulkhead, is there any bars available? Kind of like a dog guard? Could still do with being able to fit tall steps/3m lengths inside so dont fancy a full bulkhead.

The local van that got broken into had one, said they just smashed the lock off! I thought they were pretty much indestructible?!

The bulkhead seems to be the only option as I said if they want it they'll get It somehow, Maybe save the money and spend it on higher tool insurance cover. That made me more relaxed when a couple of guys has their van done over around me.

Last edited by a moderator:
no chance most proper crooks can get in quicker than you with the key

but slow them down with

1.buy a van with solid side and rear doors and fit a bulkhead to secure the rear from the front
2.fit a van vault/sentry box and bolt it to the floor and put the expensive stuff in it
3.fit dead locks to the side and rear doors
4.no sign writing
5.fit a tracker /sms alarm system
6.dont leave recipets /wholeslaers/collection notes in fornt of van

Yes its not cheap
Yes it may be overkill
Yes its only going to get worse before it gets better
No ive not lost any kit in 6 years

Jamie

Van now has bulkhead he had just got it due to some drink driver writing off his stationary transit van sitting outside his house. That is the friendliest dog I know due to the way it was bought up around his children etc. But would you risk it :).

I would recommend a lock protector AND a van vault, if they do manage to get in at least they will only be staring at a metal box.
Belt and braces job!!

Armaplate on the rear and side door have a steel bulkhead so no ones getting into the back from the front.

Have built a plywood section that is only accessible from the side door for my good gear. On the inside I have a padlock and hasp fitted to the side door and B-pillar area of the van

no chance most proper crooks can get in quicker than you with the key

but slow them down with

1.buy a van with solid side and rear doors and fit a bulkhead to secure the rear from the front
2.fit a van vault/sentry box and bolt it to the floor and put the expensive stuff in it
3.fit dead locks to the side and rear doors
4.no sign writing
5.fit a tracker /sms alarm system
6.dont leave recipets /wholeslaers/collection notes in fornt of van

Yes its not cheap
Yes it may be overkill
Yes its only going to get worse before it gets better
No ive not lost any kit in 6 years

Jamie

Would agree with not leaving stuff on show, even like you say invoices and the like. The amount of vans i've seen with tools on the passenger seat and footwells

i try to remove the most expensive stuff at the end of the day, meter, drills, tool bag. have bulkhead and nothing in front definately, if cant see anything cant be tempted, i have a hole (which i can colse up in the bulkhead so i can still get 3m stuff in the van. parking off the road is a must, reverse up against a building if possible.
definately have insurance.

then some git will rob you blind while you unloading on a job and leave the van unlocked for a second. almost happened to me (camm back to the van to see that someone had tried to pull open the rear doors) except being paranoid i lock and deadlock the van as soon as i am more than an arms length away from it.

Gget was a builder in Glasgow had van stolen a few year ago Line for 30 Belize Windows on seat Tleaf brass necked it and picked up half the Windows saying he was new guy n wanted to impress boss so not only did van go but thousands of pounds worth of Windows Not a trace of van Given value of stuff that can be got I take tester drills happy ect to van vault in shed

Reply to Van security - Whats best? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net