Discuss Vans, diesel engines & DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Diesels replaced petrol engines for regular use for a while now. Remember using diesels for works vehicles in the late 80's.

Taxi's (local journeys) use them, even my milkman uses one (noisy -------), hundreds of similar uses. It's only the recent emissions restrictions that have caused problems.

The Jaguar F-Pace uses the same Ingenium engine as the DS. It doesn't have the same issues as the DS. It has a traditional
longitudinal engine configuration, whereas the DS has a transverse configuration. The associated emissions gubbins, is therefore differently installed, and doesn't cause the same probs.

So it can be done, without having to drive round the M25 once a month.

If your carrying goods or pulling goods etc diesel are far better in low down torque. They may not have the nippy ness of a petrol but for mpg and longevity of an engine they are far better.

* my old A3 a 52 plate 1.9tdi 110bhp I was getting over 50mpg and she eventually did 270'000 miles before I sold her.

* I saw a mercedes Benz vito van on a job last year with 340'000 miles on her the van was rotten rear door etc but engine still ploughing along and it went straight through its last mot.

* I would rather buy a used diesel with 100'000 on it than a low mileage diesel that's had a stop start driving life.

* A mechanic once told me once you get past 100'000 miles your just breaking them in keep changing the oil and filter regularily and they will go forever. (Liquid Engineering)

* I think older diesels are better than the new ones *non common rail engines there is to much wizardry on them these days to keep up with EU regulations alot more can go wrong ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ etc

"Would never, ever buy a car with a diesel engine!"

And why is that..?

Quote " New Honda Diesel

There are four trim levels and it meets the latest Euro 6 emissions rules, making it cleaner than many petrol engines.

It's a smooth operator — particularly on motorways — and drives and handles well with ample pulling power and a precise six-speed manual gearbox. It goes from rest to 62 mph in 9.8 seconds and on to 125 mph.

Fuel consumption is its trump card with a claimed average of 80.7 mpg. Prices start from ÂŁ20,120 for the Civic S, a premium of up to ÂŁ1,300 over the petrol versions."

Perhaps I should've mentioned I'm a bit of a petrolhead.

Don't much care how clean it is - especially as I only do a few thousand in the car every year.

62mph in 9.8 seconds isn't what I want!

80mpg - again don't care. The extra cost involved in buying and maintaining a diesel won't be recouped with my mileage.

They sound like tractors - yes even the new ones.

They smoke and smell.

Yes they have a load of torque, but driveability is terrible.

Some years ago had Astra 1.7 diesel van, filled with unleaded and did about 10 miles before I realised as it was a bit sluggish. Drained petrol, filked with diesel, and no problems. Did it again some time later, had 3/4 tank of diesel, filled with unleaded (yes I know) travelled about 20 miles, getting slower and slower until it finally stopped. Garage towed me back, drained, refilled and off we went, did another 37,000 miles with never a problem, still going strong when we parted company.

Some years ago had Astra 1.7 diesel van, filled with unleaded and did about 10 miles before I realised as it was a bit sluggish. Drained petrol, filked with diesel, and no problems. Did it again some time later, had 3/4 tank of diesel, filled with unleaded (yes I know) travelled about 20 miles, getting slower and slower until it finally stopped. Garage towed me back, drained, refilled and off we went, did another 37,000 miles with never a problem, still going strong when we parted company.
The old Astra Isuzu engines were bullet proof. I had an oil pump pulley give up doing at 95 on the outside lane of the M1. All I did was replace the oil pump, re-time the engine and cranked her over. She saw me for another 50,000. Only reason she went was I needed a bigger car, my Mrs should say no more often... ;)

On the izuzu engines the oil cooler goes on them as well as the head gasket. It's the impurities in the water which eat away at a head gasket.

* I wouldn't mind having the 1.9tdi saab engine newer shape Astravan they go like the clappers

My current Van is the 1.3cdti fiat engine 6 speed Astravan mpg is spot on. Engine can be a bit loud and it's known as a bit of a oil drinker I would rather it had the izuzu 1.7ddti lump though.

Cheers

It's the impurities in the water which eat away at a head gasket.

easily sorted. empty your condenser tumble dryer into rinsed out milk bottles ( the 4pt. plastic ones from supermarkets etc.). use the water to fill your van's cooling system. add antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor and it'll last forever.

rubbish. this is a proper diesel engine.

6LXB1-e1347915874735.jpg

A Simple New Exhaust Technology Could Save The Diesel Engine

As market trends threaten to put a premature end to the diesel engine, researchers at a British university have developed a miraculous saviour

40df3a80d8825ddbc9b746c02aea5b71.jpg

Researchers have developed a technology that could virtually eliminate the problem of harmful nitrogen oxides from combustion engines, suggesting the possibility of a combustion-powered car that barely emits more harmful particulates than an EV.

British boffins at Loughborough University have reportedly reached such a successful stage in their project that its new technology is nullifying 98 per cent of toxic diesel NOx emissions even before being tuned for best results. That’s like throwing an engine together in your garage and discovering that it’s immediately producing 600bhp.

8029254ae535c10a8858a123bf8475ec.jpg

The latest revisions to diesel engines haven't been enough
ACCT, or Ammonia Creation and Conversion Technology, uses Ammonia to separate nitrogen and oxygen. The molecules of the latter are attached to hydrogen instead, leaving no waste products other than nitrogen, which makes up around 78 per cent of Earth’s atmosphere, and common water.

At present, NOx particles, which are produced predominantly by diesel engines, especially when hot, are linked to the premature deaths of around 71,000 people across the continent every year. Four years ago the AdBlue system was introduced; a urea-based solution that helped exhausts burn off much more of the particulate matter. ACCT knocks AdBlue into row Z.

1217da7e691e3743cf1b93ad7b098423.jpg

There's life in the old dog yet!
In early tests, the simple and cheap ACCT prototype was fitted to a diesel Skoda taxi, which focused on stop-start urban driving. While the standard, Euro 6-compatible AdBlue system captured 60 per cent of the particulates, the un-tuned ACCT hit 98 per cent right off the bat.

AdBlue’s effectiveness is limited by climate and operating conditions, but ACCT is said to work at almost peak efficiency at all times. You can imagine how valuable this sort of thing could be in a European car market that has seen diesel sales plunge 20 per cent.

ab93cd7afd69991fe277dd7ebbb33df2.jpg

Earth Dreams could soon get much dreamier

Car makers, component manufacturers and even large fleet operators are apparently besieging Loughborough University to try to get their hands on the tech as soon as physically possible, according to Autocar.

The engineering team thinks it should be easy enough to integrate the technology into cars as they are today, and it could be in production within two years “with the right support,” by which they presumably mean money, and access to car and parts makers’ production processes. This could theoretically draw a lot more life out of combustion, easing the rush to electrify everything…

Source: Autocar

Reply to Vans, diesel engines & DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net