Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Varying continuity readings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. pig

pig EF Member

Hi all,
    I am using a Fluke 1662 with fused test leads. I find when doing continuity tests such as R1+R2, as the test button is being held the result fluctuates dramatically. Both increasing and decreasing. Seems to happen on insulation resistance as well however not so much. I also find after zeroing the leads with the Fluke zeroing adaptor, I press the test button again with the leads still in the adaptor and get a reading between 0.20 and 0.80 ohms.
    Used a Megger before and never came across this.

Regards.

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

Bad allergator clips ?or leads
    Ring up fluke and ask the Tec dept .

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pig

pig EF Member

I did sway towards this as I don't seem to get it when using the plug top test lead. Just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar before

4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

Not me always used a megger .have cut my teeth on them .what do the manual tell you for problems.

5. pig

pig EF Member

Not a lot really. Says how to zero the leads etc but that's about it

6. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I had similar with a megger, even with replacment leads. Was a dodgy terminal, which required repair.

• Like Like x 1
  7. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

If it doesnt do it with your plug in lead... Then its your leads lol, if you want a good set of leads and croc clips at the moment theres some new RS phase rotation meters on ebay for about £21.99 delivered

Item no. 223214624444

Its unlikely youll get a set of leads and crocs at that price alone

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

When my Metrel does this, its time to buy new leads .........

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    You mean Crocerdile clips don't you Buzz? sorry Mate just messing with your head no malice intended

10. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Leads or clips or even batterys. I go through 3 or 4 pair of leads a year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim_e_Jib

Jim_e_Jib Regular EF Member

I remember reading somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the Fluke fused probes can be a bit temperamental. If you're dead testing, you could try the non fused probes and see if the results are any different. If they are, perhaps the fuses and contacts need a bit of a clean.

12. PEG

PEG Forum Mentor

Any capacitance on the installations you are testing?
    Are the symptoms identical,when leads are reversed?

13. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I have had this problem but with an old meter. If I left it in the vehicle overnight it would be very variable on low ohms readings. Keep it in the warm and dry no problem. Obviously condensation problems in my case.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy5678

Andy5678 Electrician's Arms

I think I may have the same sort of issue as vort. If I blow into the connections of the leads and the MFT the resistance of the leads drops from around 0.30 to 0.10 and I get much more accurate readings. Moving about the cable at the ports also helps too. I also change leads regulary and have the same problems each time . Calibration is also done every year.

15. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Different metals ,and slight temperature differences -that will disappear with time when plugged in . Can make any DC measurements drift ... milivolts !
    (Not sure if MFT is using AC ?)