Discuss Varying continuity readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pig

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am using a Fluke 1662 with fused test leads. I find when doing continuity tests such as R1+R2, as the test button is being held the result fluctuates dramatically. Both increasing and decreasing. Seems to happen on insulation resistance as well however not so much. I also find after zeroing the leads with the Fluke zeroing adaptor, I press the test button again with the leads still in the adaptor and get a reading between 0.20 and 0.80 ohms.
Used a Megger before and never came across this.

Regards.

If it doesnt do it with your plug in lead... Then its your leads lol, if you want a good set of leads and croc clips at the moment theres some new RS phase rotation meters on ebay for about £21.99 delivered

Item no. 223214624444

Its unlikely youll get a set of leads and crocs at that price alone

I did sway towards this as I don't seem to get it when using the plug top test lead. Just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar before
I remember reading somewhere, possibly on this forum, that the Fluke fused probes can be a bit temperamental. If you're dead testing, you could try the non fused probes and see if the results are any different. If they are, perhaps the fuses and contacts need a bit of a clean.

Any capacitance on the installations you are testing?
Are the symptoms identical,when leads are reversed?

I have had this problem but with an old meter. If I left it in the vehicle overnight it would be very variable on low ohms readings. Keep it in the warm and dry no problem. Obviously condensation problems in my case.

I think I may have the same sort of issue as vort. If I blow into the connections of the leads and the MFT the resistance of the leads drops from around 0.30 to 0.10 and I get much more accurate readings. Moving about the cable at the ports also helps too. I also change leads regulary and have the same problems each time . Calibration is also done every year.

.... If I blow into the connections of the leads and the MFT the resistance of the leads drops from around 0.30 to 0.10 ....
Different metals ,and slight temperature differences -that will disappear with time when plugged in . Can make any DC measurements drift ... milivolts !
(Not sure if MFT is using AC ?)

Reply to Varying continuity readings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net