Discuss velux window opening when heat detector goes off in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
as the title says guys, have been asked if this can be done , now ihave never thought of it before , anybody give me clue how this would work and what device will be getting added to do this. i will find out soon enough but i would like to have a little info for when the time comes.. thaanks

Last edited:
saying that if there was a fire in the kitchen , would it be breaking the fire barrier by opening the window.. ps they are on remote control

Wait, let me get this straight.

When he gets a fire in the kitchen he wants to add oxygen to the fire?!

Well his death wish.

You would need a new remote, open it up and connect the switch terminals to a relay. Then relay to relevant outputs on the fire alarm system.

it would work, but legality.....

Seriously why does he want to have his house burn down?

I could understand having the smoke alarm open it unless the heat alarm went too, then shut (so it would clear cooking smoke, but if a real fire then it shuts for safety.

Its the smoke that kills more than the fire. For life protection I have done a couple of multiple flats jobs where the main stairwell was stipulated by the architect to have a smoke vent that opened when the fire alarm triggered. I did question this at the time but was informed that more important to clear the smoke than worry about feeding the fire. This was in a communal stairwell, not a kitchen though. Perhaps professional advice needed.

I also have done this in communal stairwell to vent smoke if fire alarm is activated and was requested by clark of electrical works to comply with fire reg's, although the window was hard wired to a control box which activated from a N/O contact closing in F/A panel when alarm went off, how to do it with remote control one is a different kettle of fish and you may need to speak to Velux tech department to whether it can be hard wired into the window controls or whether they can supply you with and adaption kit of some nature..... unless someone else on the forum has had the same situe'.

Its the smoke that kills more than the fire. For life protection I have done a couple of multiple flats jobs where the main stairwell was stipulated by the architect to have a smoke vent that opened when the fire alarm triggered. I did question this at the time but was informed that more important to clear the smoke than worry about feeding the fire. This was in a communal stairwell, not a kitchen though. Perhaps professional advice needed.

You are indeed spot on, smoke kills (check BS EN12101 and Approved Document B) and the velux systems have a number of different methods of actuation, one being a CO2 damper that 'rams' the window open.

This can be activated by a conventional 230V smoke detector using a relay base or from a 24V sounder signal from a conventional fire alarm system.

As an apprentice I remember fitting many systems to close the windows in the event of a fire (see post 3) as the 'starve it of oxygen' theory was the order of the day back then!

I hope those systems have been updated since! :)

You are indeed spot on, smoke kills (check BS EN12101 and Approved Document B) and the velux systems have a number of different methods of actuation, one being a CO2 damper that 'rams' the window open.

This can be activated by a conventional 230V smoke detector using a relay base or from a 24V sounder signal from a conventional fire alarm system.

As an apprentice I remember fitting many systems to close the windows in the event of a fire (see post 3) as the 'starve it of oxygen' theory was the order of the day back then!

I hope those systems have been updated since! :)
When you say 24v sounder signal do you mean you would tap onto a local sounder or into the terminals themselves as a parallel connection (spur) with a sounder as this wouldnt be permitted, or as ive mentioned in previous post do you mean a volts free relay that changes state when in alarm within the fire panel? Just a bit ambiguous how you've phrased it and could be misleading.

Last edited:
When you say 24v sounder signal do you mean you would tap onto a local sounder or into the terminals themselves as a parallel connection (spur) with a sounder as this wouldnt be permitted, or as ive mentioned in previous post do you mean a volts free relay that changes state when in alarm within the fire panel? Just a bit ambiguous how you've phrased it and could be misleading.

Yes, a volt-free relay would be the method of choice.

anyway i thought within seconds of him asking me , naw no good , feeding the fire , and thought you would need to contact velux if could tap into terminals on window as is remote control..... we have talked him out of it and he only got the idea as supermasrkets have it which are broken down into fire zones, beyone me anyway.... but ty but would be good idea for when his wife burns the spuds

anyway i thought within seconds of him asking me , naw no good , feeding the fire , and thought you would need to contact velux if could tap into terminals on window as is remote control..... we have talked him out of it and he only got the idea as supermasrkets have it which are broken down into fire zones, beyone me anyway.... but ty but would be good idea for when his wife burns the spuds

i cant see how it would feed a fire,a velux window isnt exactly a fire barrier,its going to melt very quickly,you need to get rid of smoke asap,the brigade even advise opening a window to get rid of smoke,thats what kills ya first

Does smoke vent upwards if there is little to replace it, ie is it lifted by the thermal effects of the fire. Again, I don't know, just bored in a hotel in Gloucester and think that several minds thinking about it ( maybe pointlessly!) will be better than one!

as you say the smoke is the killer in most cases.... but the house could be saved if that window wasnt open and fire brigade got there in time..... and the alarms should be enough to cover the smoke in this case,,,,... i think its a 50 50

I've fitted so many of these units

Smoke ventilation system, can be controlled by smoke/heat detecteR OR front an existing fire alarm system,
I don't actually order them just fit them but I'm sure we get them from window master .com

Will get more info on it tomorrow if u require it

that would be great, its a velux remote controlled one and has 6 others in the house the same... i think new builds should have extractor fans in rooms which are switched by the black smoke.... is this my idea to have the rights , do i get a royalty once they bounce out on shelves..... 25/10/2011;)

Reply to velux window opening when heat detector goes off in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net