Discuss Veritas Alarm System Help (Remove Personal Alarm) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

reddragon105

I've recently moved into a new house with a Veritas R8 alarm system fitted. In one of the bedrooms, there's a wire coming out from one of the walls with a small (the size of a matchbox) white plastic box with a key sticking out of it and a big red button which I'm guessing is some sort of bedside personal/panic alarm used by the previous (presumably elderly!) owner.

I'd like to remove this, as we're redecorating the bedroom, but I'm not sure how to (pretty sure just cutting the wire would set the alarm off - at least it should if the system is worth anything!). Can anyone offer any advice on reprogramming the system so that I can physically remove the wire?

Hopefully you have the user code.....remove cover on main control panel, when alarm goes off, enter user code to silence... disconnect cables going to pa terminal, and replace a small piece of wire across the the pa terminals. Check the are no other cables in the multi core going to other terminals 24hr etc.
Replace cover, and reset. PA button is now isolated and can now be removed

what he said^^^^^. an alternative would be to remove the panic button cover, use code to silence alarm, then diss. the 2 wires from the reed switch, twist together and refit onto 1 terminal of the reed. then reset panel. this would save going into the control panel and leave the PA circuit intact for possible future use.

Hopefully you have the user code.....remove cover on main control panel, when alarm goes off, enter user code to silence... disconnect cables going to pa terminal, and replace a small piece of wire across the the pa terminals. Check the are no other cables in the multi core going to other terminals 24hr etc.
Replace cover, and reset. PA button is now isolated and can now be removed
Great, thanks! Yes, I have the user code from previous owner (and I know that it's correct because I had to use it when I set off the alarm by pressing the big red button on the PA because I didn't know what it was!).

So my only question now is how do I know which cables are going to the PA terminal? Are they marked? I'm just not sure which zone the PA is in but I suppose I could figure that out. And do I need to cut the power to the main control panel and if so how do I do that?

the veritas has programmable zones. to find out which zone the PA is on, press the PA and silence the panel. it should then indicate which zone has activated.

the veritas has programmable zones. to find out which zone the PA is on, press the PA and silence the panel. it should then indicate which zone has activated.
Great, thanks! I set it off today and found out that it's zone 7. Well, by set off, I mean I pushed the big red button and nothing happened. Tried several more times and still nothing. Then, later, as I was moving stuff around, I knocked it gently and it went off! Must have a loose connection. Tomorrow I'm going to go into the main control panel to disable it. Will I be okay just removing the panel or do I have to remove the fuse/power first?

take cover off panel. enter code. don't worry about power being on, apart from the incvoming mains feeed to the transformer, it's all no more than 12V. take the 2 wires out from zone 7, replace with a shorht link, refit lid and enter code followed by rest.

Reply to Veritas Alarm System Help (Remove Personal Alarm) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock