Discuss Vettessess in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mr s

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am moving to australia with my three kids and have recently found out that my visa will involve me taking a vettessess exam! Now I am a little worried about the written side as I have not been to college for ten years now! I would really like to be prepared and any information would be great! If need be I will go on courses or get further help if you know of any information...

any reply's would be appreciated and I know there has been posts on this in the past but hey we need something to talk about, or not lol

it is scary moving your family so need to pass this any help much appreciated........

Practical Assessmentf you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham, and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation in Birmingham (I did £49 Holiday Inn Express)!A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.I was absolutely knackered at the end!!*Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz .

I lifted this off an expat forum

Hi all,
I am moving to australia with my three kids and have recently found out that my visa will involve me taking a vettessess exam! Now I am a little worried about the written side as I have not been to college for ten years now! I would really like to be prepared and any information would be great! If need be I will go on courses or get further help if you know of any information...

any reply's would be appreciated and I know there has been posts on this in the past but hey we need something to talk about, or not lol

it is scary moving your family so need to pass this any help much appreciated........

I think you may find you are in for a few more surprises (trade work wise) once you get to Oz.

Check out the non UK work forum on the main index page here. Quite a bit of information over several threads relating to obtaining Ozzy electrician liecences....

I think you may find you are in for a few more surprises (trade work wise) once you get to Oz.

Check out the non UK work forum on the main index page here. Quite a bit of information over several threads relating to obtaining Ozzy electrician liecences....

Yeah ah I kind of have and do understand that it's not plain sailing over there.... Cheers tho. Thanks for all the information but is there a refresher course or revision books or can I get a tutor just to help with the written! Practical not a problem but I could do with refreshing my memory.....

thanks people

Reply to Vettessess in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net