Discuss Vintage car, new indicators and relay very erratic when engine is running in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevefizz

Restoring a 1938 vauxhall DX positive earth 12v

Installed indicators and a relay works fine with the ignition on but flash very erratic when the engine is running

12V ELECTRONIC INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY POSITIVE EARTH GROUND 2 or 3 PIN OPTIONS | eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-ELECTRONIC-INDICATOR-FLASHER-RELAY-POSITIVE-EARTH-GROUND-2-or-3-PIN-OPTIONS-/181922801187?hash=item2a5b71a623:g:U-4AAOSwbwlW~8cT

do i need a solid sate voltage regulator
do i have a fault somewhere
have i wired it up wrongly
or something else

Thanks
steve

Hi Steve and Welcome to the Forum.
It sounds like flasher is not happy with its power supply, doesn't it? You could try a temporary direct connect to your battery - both + and - . The battery will naturally smooth any chatter from dynamo. If It works then with the engine running then can try to improve the power wiring to the flasher perhaps.

Edit - be careful with the +ve earth as the new flasher may not cope with that !
Edit of Edit - just read the link, flasher is good :)

Still the same. the plot does thicken though. i had the dynamo cables the wrong way round. now occasionally the ignition warning light stays on when i turn the ignition off.

Hi,have you checked the dynamo/regulator for correct operation? If the flasher unit works OK with plain old 12v,then it sounds like the engine running,is either causing the voltage to be pulled down,or raised.

A simple check with a multimeter at the flasher unit,when ignition on,and then with engine running,should assist.

I've just had a quick look at me bookcase,and i still have some paperwork for the dynamo on an Austin Ascot Light 12/4 that i owned.

I remember doing a fair bit of "flashing" the field,and glass papering regulator contacts,in order for it to keep the battery semi happy.

Last edited:

Reply to Vintage car, new indicators and relay very erratic when engine is running in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net