Discuss visual prep for part p assessment in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Afternoon boys n girls.....
Just been having a quick look round the install at my mothers house as this will be the site for my part p assessment.....a few things here.....some cables clipped on edge (2)...a 1.5 radial unsupported near the ceiling in the kitchen feeding a surface mounted socket on the wall (2) and one cable unsupported flying out of the wall near the ceiling which i suspect was for the feed and switch wire for lighting (2).....existing discharge batten on the wall being fed from flex to a BS1363 plugtop (2) earthing to the property is TNS hepworth braid secured to DNO sheath with a BS951.....the main bonding needs an upgrade (2) dis board is a 6 way BS 3036 (4) tails need upgrading (2) old colours (4)...etc ..etc......nothing that cant be sorted easily.....my approach here is to give it a PIR first so i can test to see if any cabling is shot..or theres the borrowed neutral etc...just to give me a starting point really......but the problem is theres not going to be enough room to fit a 10 way split load board here within the existing space vacated by the BS3036......was thinking about ringing the energy supplier to ask em if they can move their meter over a bit to give me the required room.....theres a henley block here for the MET that i can move myself....its just the meter......how do you rate my chances of being successful in getting em out to move it over for me?:D

They'll do it but they'll want some ££s mate
well....was thinking the way round it was to get the jigsaw out and cut round the thing (and the service head)....leave enough wood surrounding the meter and head to get a fix into and then remount them both on a new board ....like a chipboard or summat..then i can fix that to the existing pots they have used on the wall.........

Last edited:
Or it could just be the meter had moved itself one night:tounge_smile:

It would probably work out less to get a main incommer CU and fit RCBOs, this way the will be 4 ways smaller

i had one of those. not enough room for the new CU< but while i was at the wholesaers, getting a 10 way split board, the meter magically moved to the edge of the board.

yep but the thing is here is...cash (as always)....lol...and i aint fitting one of those protius things here either.....my boss fits wylex as a standard fix...but will fit crabtree, hager etc....if the client specifies it....wont go for anything under a wylex here.....yes RCBOs in real terms have come down much in price....hmm....its a thought.....

i had one of those. not enough room for the new CU< but while i was at the wholesaers, getting a 10 way split board, the meter magically moved to the edge of the board.
had a look at the meter Tel and you have to cut the leadloc to get into the terminations.....I guess thats where the screws are to fix it....at the bottom....then theres the top which looks like you have to remove the movement (its an old wheel type)...to get to the back of the casing for the top fixings.....my concern here is snipping the seals....pandoras box???!

snip seal, remove terminal cover. screws are there. the top screw is on a keyhole, so you only have to hook the meter on, then fit 2 bottom screws.

think i must have dreamed that. i would never cut meter seals :sleeping::rofl:

snip seal, remove terminal cover. screws are there. the top screw is on a keyhole, so you only have to hook the meter on, then fit 2 bottom screws.

think i must have dreamed that. i would never cut meter seals :sleeping::rofl:
Thanks Tel....ans as i havn`t gon into the top half of the unit....it wont be seen as a "fiddle"?.....lol...

Glenn, you do realise you're about to do everything you hate about the industry
afternoon fuzzydunlop....
well firstly i would say "hate" is a strong word.....i dont hate...just disagree sometimes......and which part of my posts are you refering to? Going part P?.....Keeping my work away from pipes (as the scenario will be here)?.....Or even asking other peoples advice/guidance?........

Last edited:
everything you hate about the industry

Doesn't matter what the industry is and how much you know about or love your job... Getting out of bed in the morning is always a HATE of mine :D

Glenn, YOU will be fine mate. You have a very smart brain in your head and YOU will know what course of action to take :thumbsup

Thanks for that one short.....i think what fuzzy was getting at was previous posts of mine concerning the pulling of bullits withiut first assessing the condition of the carrier by youngsters who have only just started out....as far as attaining part p membershi-p is concerned...i think fuzzy was refering to a rant or three i may have had about those who have come through some six week course someware and as such will effectively be learning on the job by trial and error in other peoples property....a mindset of mine i still stand by........one of the reasons for going part p is it can be used as evidence for the NVQ3 which i am currently undertaking....this we were told by the NVQ assessors at the college i have attended for over a year after previous experience and achieving other certs of my own back......i invite fuzzy to explain his post so i can understand.......

.i think what fuzzy was getting at was previous posts of mine concerning the pulling of bullits withiut first assessing the condition of the carrier by youngsters who have only just started out....

I'm not young and certainly not innocent so the above could apply to me in one respect but on the other... if I'm not happy then it doesn't happen. Does that make sense? ;)

theres more to electrical installation than just domestic fuzzy......see..to me going part p is a necessary evil.....but it depends how far you want to go in the industry....doesn`t it?......

Not having a dig Glenn but you're doing everything that you hate/slag off with going Part P. You might as well ditch your 2330 and do the EAL 5 day course

Have faith in your convictions

Reply to visual prep for part p assessment in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net