chrisgc

Hi

Am looking at purchasing a van.

Am thinking along the lines of either a Ford Transit or Vauxhall Vivaro

Budget is 4-5k.

Any thoughts please ladies and gents?

Also SWB or MWB??

Chris

Transits pre 2007 seem to be rust magnets, I have a Nissan primastar, same as the vivaro, SWB because parking is bristol, especially around cifton is a nightmare!

I have to say the Vivaro looks nicer (I know not a reason to choose it though).

On the Vivaro is there a big difference in size with the SWB, MWB and LWB versions??

Vivaro much better to drive. Check gearbox though as they are a big let down. See if it crunches into 2nd gear or any others. Best advice try find a vw transporter

definitely vivaro, never seen one with rust on and so comfortable, hire fleets use transits because they get good discount on purchase and get shot within 2 years

Theres a reason a transit has been going for so many decades, what is it 50 years now??

Vivaros just dont match up

Whoever said VW Transporter wants a medal, these are really spot on, maybe lacking a little in gadgetry, but highly reliable

I don't know where some of us get the impression a Transit would only last 2 years.

As for the Vauxhall Vivaro, just don't get one with the DTi or Di engine, couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding when empty, never mid when loaded with gear!

Only problem with VWs is all the ones around this price bracket in question have very high miles and are all early models.

At least with the other makes you'd stand a chance of getting something a little newer

who said they only last 2 years? transits are reliable without a doubt but a bit agricultural and therefore may be suited to industrial sites

Had both the Transit and now the Vivaro (Sportive) in the last couple of years. Vivaro is lovely to drive, looks smart, economical but has the odd gearbox problem and if it does go wrong its a nightmare to work on. Transit is bombproof, easier to work on,less economical, looks like it was designed by a USSR cold war car plant and drives like a tractor.

The vivaro I use has had a dent in the back door where it was hit on site by a wet head over three years ago.

Some of the paint has flaked and it's not gone rusty yet....and we are on the coast so most vehicles rust away

Dont worry about mileage on a transporter they are only just run in at 100k. Ive seen these with 3-4 hundred thousand miles on and still going sweet. Iv'e had Transits, Vivaro's and now a Transporter luckily with only 80k miles. Old transit's ( smiley fronts ) are bomb proof but newer shapes are garbage. I had a 53 plate 125ps transit last year and after £600 on injectors and £700 on a new dual mass flywheel and clutch it puts you off. But if you check any van properly and it has service history there are good ones in all makes. Just don't buy one off someone with a dodgy accent and claiming to be low mileage and one owner but misplaced history ;)

Reply to Vivaro or Transit?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net