Discuss VOELCB - testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jasew

Just found the first one of these I've seen.

On a TT system old 1960-70s bungalow.

It does test with the integral test button.

Is there anyway to test it works in the case of a fault condition?

Cheers
Jase

there might be but I think the Part P document in 2006 states ditch it (just checking)

its in the van and locked up (am old with kids so off to bed on a saturday night at 9:14 game over man! game over!) So someone else answer and make me look (even more) stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the P doc - it only says you might come across in older installations.

Jase

In the ESC document - Periodic inspection reporting - it gives Code 4 stating:
Reliance on a voltage-operated earth leakage breaker for fault protection, subject to the device being proved to operate correctly.

Personnally I'd recommend replacing and don't know how they could be tested anyway - I don't think an rcd test would trip it!

It needs to be replaced.

VOELCBs are tested by applying voltage to the earth conductor through the device.
One of the things that should be checked, is that device is between the CU and all earthy connections such as the main earth and the main bonding.
Yes it should be replaced, as sole reliance on one does not comply with BS7671.

Last edited by a moderator:
VOELCBs are tested by applying voltage to the earth conductor through the device.
One of the things that should be checked, is that device is between the CU and all earthy connections such as the main earth and the main bonding.
Yes it should be replaced, as sole reliance on one does not comply with BS7671.

Agree they should always be replaced!! There was a test kit to prove these units were in working order, but haven't seen one for yonks!! They weren't the most reliable form of protection at the best of times anyway, being susceptible to all sorts of stray voltage on the system....

Reply to VOELCB - testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock