Discuss VOELCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes whole house (old farm) was 50's install TT with a 2.5mm tinnned bare earth going to a rod out back reading 300+, rubbers everywhere (cables btw ;) ) connector blocks everywhere, no bonding. Had a DNO install a pme head as available and just finishing of the rewire now, job satisfaction at a high today :)

When you say rubbers I take it you mean the old rubber insulation. I'm over 50 and funnily enough do remember older wiring from my youth in various DIY escapades.

There's talk about bringing them back for electric car charging points.
From Wiring Matters (emphasis mine):

"Regulation 722.411.4.1(iii) is based on the installation requirements (from the 14th edition wiring regulations) for a voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. However, the device differs from the BS 842 voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker. A product standard for a protective device for the purposes of (iii) is being developed by BSI Committee PEL/23/1."

This is one of Crabtree's early current operated devices, trips at 500 ma if I remember correctly...

I've taken plenty out, maybe I should have saved some for posterity

I thought they were 1 amp on those current operated ones?

Anyway here is a real voltage operated elcb the rather less common 3phase version. Sorry the photos are a bit blurry.
VOELCB Crab front - EletriciansForums.net VOELCB Crab in - EletriciansForums.net
These things are robust as hell compared to modern stuff.

1 Amp..you could be right. Frightening, in view of many situations!

I still come across a few of these 4 pole ELCB's, mainly in Farm buildings.

Somewhere in my workshop I have a Clare test set which does a 'Go, No Go ' test on VOELCB's.

I'll dig it out and post some pics if anyones interested..

Cheers

Dave

If anyone has complete units like this in good condition surplus to requirements - voltage or current operated - then I would be happy to pay you to pack and send them rather than bin them as I need a couple of good examples for the museum. If you send ones that either work or can be repaired I will make demo videos of them in operation for my forthcoming YouTube vintage electrics video series.

The first unit in the thread is indeed an RCD type. They took a standard VOELCB mechanism and mounted it in the box with that chunky toroidal balance transformer connected to what would have been the E & F terminals. I am not sure whether they used a different resistance of tripping coil or whether the transformer was wound to suit a standard coil.

Reply to VOELCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock