Discuss Voip system in a small office in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, trying to get my head around how voip systems work in an office.

From what I gather for install it's just router to switch to patch panel to rj45 just like any other internet point. Is that right, am Imissing anything?

I would also also like to know I there's any special requirements do you need a special sw to config? and how do you find the number for the phone?

Cheers all

As usual the answer is "it all depends", both on the reason for asking the question and the situation you have in mind.

So a few questions /comments for clarification :-

Is the VOIP Service delivered from outside from a Service Provider (over the internet, normally using the SIP protocol) or internal from a telephone switch / exchange on the data network?

If it's a small office (with little data traffic on the network) the VOIP telephone is just another device on the network and you can get away with any decent fast ethernet or gigabit switch.

For example, I use www.voipfone.co.uk for a business line where the service is over the internet, with the link between the VOIP service and the "normal" phone system (and number) is provided by them, with an "adapter" plugged into my router and a "normal" analogue phone plugged into the adaptor. I could use a VOIP handset plugged straight into network which doesn't need adapter. This works very well.

Larger offices, with a lot of data traffic would have their network switches configured to give priority to the voice traffic and may do their own telephone to VOIP conversion on their telephone switches (PBX).

In both cases a licensed telecoms operator has to be involved to provide the numbers.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
reson for asking is I'm about to do a data install on a small office up2 patch panel but am interested in how the rest of it all goes together.

in a previous install I did alongside a friend extra cat6's had to be pulled to outside (guessing this would be what you mean by internally).

In that case, from a data cable installation point of view you'll need to know the total number of devices computers, telephones and network printers etc. so that you can install the required number of data outlets.

If the broadband and router are in the data cabinet you won't need data points for those but
some VOIP phones have network switches built in so that they don't need a dedicated data point (the computer is daisy chained from the phone) but I'd put one for each device while you're at it.

Unfortunately there are too many permutations to describe all the possible options, to understand the particular system you're involved with it's best to ask the designer of the solution (probably the salesman for their supplier!)

Reply to Voip system in a small office in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock