Discuss Volt drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Maxstone89

Hi,

Im a fairly new sparky,
So just wanted to get a little idea as im not 100% sure,
Im adding 12m of 1.5mm cable in trunking into a conservatory from a fcu of the ring main the volt drop for this part would be 4.5v so i may need to up the cable size. But what i need to know or confirm is what would i take the ring main volt drop as, as if it was a short run it would be no problem. ? Any suggestions would be helpful and of coarse i will follow it up with my own research when i get a sort of idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi,[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Im a fairly new sparky,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]So just wanted to get a little idea as im not 100% sure,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Im adding 12m of 1.5mm cable in trunking into a conservatory from a fcu of the ring main the volt drop for this part would be 4.5v so i may need to up the cable size. But what i need to know or confirm is what would i take the ring main volt drop as, as if it was a short run it would be no problem. ? Any suggestions would be helpful and of coarse i will follow it up with my own research when i get a sort of idea.[/COLOR]

??????

Hi,

Im a fairly new sparky,
So just wanted to get a little idea as im not 100% sure,
Im adding 12m of 1.5mm cable in trunking into a conservatory from a fcu of the ring main the volt drop for this part would be 4.5v so i may need to up the cable size. But what i need to know or confirm is what would i take the ring main volt drop as, as if it was a short run it would be no problem. ? Any suggestions would be helpful and of coarse i will follow it up with my own research when i get a sort of idea.

Hi and welcome.

Firstly 4.5V sounds very high for 12m of 1.5mm. You've maybe made an error there.

You can calculate the length of the ring final by measuring r1 or r2 (end to end of live or the cpc). You can then calculate the cable length by finding the ohms per metre for the cable size that's been installed.

Last edited:
Can you show your calculation method so we can correct it, or use copper as a conductor because 4.5v for 12m of 1.5 is definately wrong, if you think about it your lighting in your house would have a max' length of about 16m before it failed its VD if in 1.5...!

Last edited:
I understand the high VD now, just from a design point of view can I query how the conservatory is been heated, will it be likely to have a heater plugged in?

ps Over Current Protective Device OCPD

So the 13 amp fuse basically would be the ocpd , never heard of it being said as ocpd
No heater no....?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to add the VD you calculated for the radial spur to the VD calculated for the ringmain, if this does not comply for the ring then redesign your circuit or increase the cable.

Volts drop is always calculated from source to end point but where you fuse down mid point you calculate each section and add together.

Hi and welcome.

Firstly 4.5V sounds very high for 12m of 1.5mm. You've maybe made an error there.

You can calculate the length of the ring final by measuring r1 or r2 (end to end of live or the cpc). You can then calculate the cable length by finding the ohms per metre for the cable size that's been installed.

Brill thanks, darkwood would you calculate like impeededloop wood?

This has been covered many times and should be in your OSG - but here's a link to a better explanation and shown calculations..

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...istribution-load-ring-final-voltage-drop.html

Been a domestic property I'm assuming the ring is connected to the origin of the supply, if by chance its a submain remote from the origin then you have to also calculate the VD for the Sub-main too.... if their is any lighting on the submain then this would mean that the submain will have to comply to the lower VD% for lighting circuits....

Not really a issue in domestic but when you have submains then things get interesting.

sorry but your calc is flawed.

firstly extend the ring with fcu for lighting, you wont hit 100m total length for ring.

you should only have the lighting off the fcu

cheating method is zs on socket you are going to extend the ring from to see if zs is low enough, extend then test properly

Reply to Volt drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock