• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Volt sticks and what is you opinion in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I find that a volt stick,is ideal for using as a pointer in the suppliers,as in "Pass me one of them...no next to it...no,the other side....that's it...that AVI..." ;)

Wouldn’t trust them to prove something’s dead, but I find them useful to locate and verify circuits particularly where you can’t use a martindale or where FCUs don’t have neons, and you don’t have to unscrew fronts to get at the terminals.
Also handy for identifying a cable you need to trace, again no need to make contact with the wire.

I don’t currently own one but have used one for identifying a cable in a loft that I wanted to ‘tap into’ I think it was to run a tv amplifier,

if you have ever shopped with testermans and sign up to the newsletter they will give you a free voltstick.. which tells you all you need to know! on the positive side the used and reconditioned testing kit on the website is quite well priced.

Can be handing for fault finding when tracing out conductors etc and for stirring my brew...

No good for stabbing apprentices with though, not sharp enough...

Tap/stroke some models rhythmically ,and you can pretend something is dangerous , even with the power off.
--BEST keep you fingers out-of here--
Red Light means danger.
All that capacitance -stuff is dangerous..
(..they can tell lies.. as we all know)

Tap/stroke some models rhythmically ,and you can pretend something is dangerous , even with the power off.
--BEST keep you fingers out-of here--
Red Light means danger.
All that capacitance -stuff is dangerous..
(..they can tell lies.. as we all know)
got one with my clamp meter thrown in the box, even my weetabix makes it glow! found out when i put it on the side with the shopping next to it!

Although these items get a bit of stick :rolleyes: they do find a use.
I have some,somewhere, i think,if my 10 year old hasn't used them as a tiny light-sabre...

I do use the volt-sense end of one of my Megger devices,330 maybe? So,a large,glorified stick of sorts ;)As ever,used appropriately,even an elastic band is a suitable tool...

I used one the other day as I was extending a lighting circuit and located two cables going to the rose to tap off of. Volt stick was very handy. Disconnected the feed at the rose and parted the cables the volt stick told me which one was live/feed as I could not get directly above the rose downstairs this was very handy. As to relying on them for safe isolation, when hell freezes over!

As already said - I wouldn't use for 100% isolation but they have uses. Except the Megger one I have which is so sensitive. I think that one would chirp if you put it near a watch battery.

Reply to Volt sticks and what is you opinion in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back