Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Volt sticks and what is you opinion in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. leonwildey

leonwildey New EF Member

What do you all thick about Volt sticks and there use in the in the electrical industry ?.

2. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Apparently there are uses for them. I've not found one yet though, not in my sphere of work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SJD

SJD Forum Mentor

Can be very useful to detect in twin & earth cable which side is L, if you want to cut the cable without shorting N to E. [Obviously the circuit MCB is then turned off first, but perhaps not the RCD.]

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. PEG

PEG Respected Member

I find that a volt stick,is ideal for using as a pointer in the suppliers,as in "Pass me one of them...no next to it...no,the other side....that's it...that AVI..." ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mydigitalhome

mydigitalhome Regular EF Member

Fine for checking live but not proving something is electrically dead. Can help with fault finding.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Electrician's Arms

Wouldn’t trust them to prove something’s dead, but I find them useful to locate and verify circuits particularly where you can’t use a martindale or where FCUs don’t have neons, and you don’t have to unscrew fronts to get at the terminals.
    Also handy for identifying a cable you need to trace, again no need to make contact with the wire.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sam400

sam400 Regular EF Member

I don’t currently own one but have used one for identifying a cable in a loft that I wanted to ‘tap into’ I think it was to run a tv amplifier,

8. Flanders

Flanders Regular EF Member

The old death stick, yes handing for checking if a spur or switch pendant could be live , comes in handy when doing eicr to locate circuits but, thats about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    if you have ever shopped with testermans and sign up to the newsletter they will give you a free voltstick.. which tells you all you need to know! on the positive side the used and reconditioned testing kit on the website is quite well priced.

10. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Can be handing for fault finding when tracing out conductors etc and for stirring my brew...

No good for stabbing apprentices with though, not sharp enough...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Tap/stroke some models rhythmically ,and you can pretend something is dangerous , even with the power off.
    --BEST keep you fingers out-of here--
    Red Light means danger.
    All that capacitance -stuff is dangerous..
    (..they can tell lies.. as we all know)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    got one with my clamp meter thrown in the box, even my weetabix makes it glow! found out when i put it on the side with the shopping next to it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MFS Electrical

MFS Electrical Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    MFS Electrical
    Good blunt force trauma though a well placed dig between the ribs could be effective;) joking of courseo_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Although these items get a bit of stick :rolleyes: they do find a use.
    I have some,somewhere, i think,if my 10 year old hasn't used them as a tiny light-sabre...

I do use the volt-sense end of one of my Megger devices,330 maybe? So,a large,glorified stick of sorts ;)As ever,used appropriately,even an elastic band is a suitable tool...

15. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

An absolutely useless way to get yourself hurt

• Funny Funny x 1