Discuss Voltage across neutral to earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi bud,what i am focusing on,is that you may not have used the correct instrument,to determine the nature of those voltages.

That wasn't directed at you. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Me and the guys in the company have a laugh about the Trade Forum version of Godwin's law. "How many posts until the inevitable accusation of not being a genuine sparks/plumber/engineer etc"

The neutral conductor will only be neutral whilst connected to the neutral point of the supply, once it is disconnected from the neutral point it becomes just another conductor and will behave as such.
So if it is connected (via a load or fault) to a live conductor is will be at that potential with reference to earth or the neutral point. If it is not connected to anything but is in close proximity to live conductors it will have a capacitively coupled voltage on it which could be anything up to the full potential of the live conductors.

Thank you mate. I'm really glad you could really understand my question. The capacitance of the disconnected neutral is the answer. I knew it was a flaw in the testing procedure but as I couldn't explain it like you I couldn't purseude the main electrical contractor.

Thank you mate. I'm really glad you could really understand my question. The capacitance of the disconnected neutral is the answer. I knew it was a flaw in the testing procedure but as I couldn't explain it like you I couldn't purseude the main electrical contractor.
Are you contending that someone got a bad shock off an isolated cable solely due to capacitive coupling to that cable?

Are you contending that someone got a bad shock off an isolated cable solely due to capacitive coupling to that cable?

No. He just explained the faulty test procedure I was doing which gave the voltage reading on neutral even once everything was disconnected.
The original fault which caused the shock would most likely have been a loose neutral somewhere on the circuit. This was corrected even if we never found exactly which cable was loose. The isolator is 4 pole, so maybe the neutral switch didn't connect properly when first switched on. The circuit was fully tested 3-4 times and what could be changed was, so I'm comfortable that the fault is no longer on the circuit.

Reply to Voltage across neutral to earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock