Discuss Voltage Detector Compliant? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had this bought for me for Christmas. The description says its made by Metrel and is GS38 compliant. When I received it, it doesn't says Metrel anywhere on the product or the box. The probes have around 15mm exposed, when you unscrew the covers there is slightly less exposed, possible 10-12mm?!

l2wG37kU_original.jpg

Also according to the box it does a VAT self test, what is this?

k9KJY+1t_original.jpg

Also they have spelt voltage wrong, thinking about it, spelling mistakes on safety equipment are unacceptable. If they got that wrong, what else is?

Was it baught via ebay by any chance ? if it was then you can ask for a re-fund or open a dispute via ebay. As for GS38 compliant I seriously doubt it, I thought GS38 specified a max of 2mm exposed. The VAT test though that's a new 1 on me lol.
Can you post up a picture of the whole thing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
GS38
The test probes and leads used in conjunction with a voltmeter, multimeter,electrician’s test lamp or voltage indicator should be selected to prevent danger.Good test probes and leads will have the following:
(a) The probes:
  1. (i) have finger barriers or are shaped to guard against inadvertent hand
    contact with the live conductors under test;
  2. (ii) are insulated to leave an exposed metal tip not exceeding 4 mm measured
    across any surface of the tip. Where practicable it is strongly recommended that this is reduced to 2 mm or less, or that spring loaded retractable
    screened probes are used;
    (iii) should have suitable high breaking capacity (hbc), sometimes known as

hrc, fuse, or fuses, with a low current rating (usually not exceeding
    500 mA), or a current-limiting resistor and a fuse.

Are there not any plastic tips in the box?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its meant to be a red Metrel TEK900. Looks the same, just a different colour.
Think I might contact Metrel to verify, they are normally very helpful.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Personally I think the 2mm exposed tip guidance in GS38 makes testing MORE dangerous, as you end up having to be creative to get access to the test ports on connector blocks like Wagos.

Honestly, Its the poor blokes christmas present and everyones having a go, it might have been given by a friend (cheap friend mind).
Don't worry fella, stick it in the draw with socks and ill fitting jumpers. :santa1:

Personally, if i were that worried about too much of the tip being exposed, i'd shrink a couple or more layers of some heatshrink over the tips and cut to my own requirements... Sorted!! lol!!

Does sound like it mate, would not want to trust it really. It does prove you get what you pay for, who knows how well its tested being a possible copy and shorts out or worse stops working ! Remember you can only trust yourself and your tools on site everyone else lies !

Thats the way I did it with my ancient Stienel, only I used sleeving. Too good a tool to discard because of the tips.

Edit , Reply to engineer 54 's post .

Last edited:
It was £30+vat so not exactly from a poundshop!
I chose it as it appeared reasonably good! They just ordered it. I was wrong!

I really don't think what you have been supplied with is the real deal - send it back for a refund and invest in a Fluke!
Regards.

Reply to Voltage Detector Compliant? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net