Discuss Voltage drop and cable size calculations. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lawmal

-
Reaction score
Hi, would like ta post a question about voltage drop in a cable. If I have a 230v single phase load of 500w with a 50 meter cable run reference method C . What would be the voltage drop in a 1.5mm2 ? From my calculations excluding pf I checked from the table the the voltage drop in mV/A/m of a 1.5mm cable which is roughly 29mV/A/m, so I did 29 x 2.17 x 50 = 3146.5 / 1000 which results in 3.14% voltage drop in cable. Am I right? Because when I use a voltage drop calculation app online it is rounding up the voltage drop to 1.43% when inserting the same parameters.
Thanks.

Good job !
Keep in mind the 29mV figure is with conductor running max temp 70C, so with a low current (and hence a lower temp) you will likely see a smaller voltage drop. You can look up what it should be for the next test :)

Reply to Voltage drop and cable size calculations. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock