Discuss Voltage drop on swa in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I've been asked to provide a supply to a machine shop on a farm. The nearest supply is 170m away.

I'm working out the vd/a/m and I'm looking at having to install a 25mm 2 core SWA to compenate. But that is while working out the current carrying capacity of the cable at 152amps (Ref. E) or 25Kw.

However, the load isn't going to be anywhere near that: the main piece of equiptment is a mig welder at 10amps and some small hand tools. They don't even require lights.

Should I calculate the vd/a/m at the cable potential load, or can I use the expected load (closer to around 30amps) - I'm running three double sockets individually run on 2.5mm from separate 16amp breakers

Thanks for your time.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,I always work out VD based on the max demand that the cable will be taking (not the CCC of the cable). Plus I think about what may potentially change/be added in the future, so add on a few amps when calculating VD. Please wait until you get some more input though as I am purely domestic and I wouldn't want to give you the wrong info. Good luck.

Last edited:
calculate the expected load. add 30%, then work out the VD from that.

Hi

I've been asked to provide a supply to a machine shop on a farm. The nearest supply is 170m away.

I'm working out the vd/a/m and I'm looking at having to install a 25mm 2 core SWA to compenate. But that is while working out the current carrying capacity of the cable at 152amps (Ref. E) or 25Kw.

However, the load isn't going to be anywhere near that: the main piece of equiptment is a mig welder at 10amps and some small hand tools. They don't even require lights.

Should I calculate the vd/a/m at the cable potential load, or can I use the expected load (closer to around 30amps) - I'm running three double sockets individually run on 2.5mm from separate 16amp breakers

Thanks for your time.

Duncan

Cheers Telectrix. That'll bring the price down a bit :stooge_curly:

Don't see how it will assuming a load of 30 amp your still on 25mm² as your volt drop kills it

your total load may be around 30A, but allowing for diversity ( not everything will be on at once ), your design load may well be down to around 15A. so 16mm will fly it.up to 20A. that's what i'd do.

Once you calculated your load inc' diversity see what front end O/L protection will need to be to cover it then calculate volts drop to the rating of the device this will mean you have correct VD even if upstream O/L device if nearly fully loaded.

Is this 1ph or 3ph and will the machine shop require any bonding arrangements as this will be needed to be taken into account when cable sizing also the nature of the DNO supply can make a difference too.

It's a 2 core single phase supply. I planned to protect the swa with a 40amp circuit breaker at the dno supply. The job only involves running three twin metalclad sockets in the work shop, which i will supply through three x 16amp cb's and a 60amp 30ma RCD main switch.

If your front end is 40amp then this should be your calculation figure unless you are supplying a fixed load. As you have a number of sockets the load can be variable and however unlikely it seems to get fully loaded you still have to consider the worst case scenario in your workings.

Don't forget you will have a Zs value to achieve and at such a run if you calculate using a estimated demand you will almost likely fail to meet the Zs requirements and at the design stage you should not be relying on the RCD to cover for this, you still haven't responded regarding any bonding requirements to structural or services and if the supply is TT, TNCS or TNS?

I would also assume lighting will be added at some point your wiring a sub-main to supply a work-shop it has a high chance lighting will be added regardless of what is said at this stage, so allow for this in your calcs...Part of your design is future proofing to a certain extent and with the length of that run you may want to be more cautious in your sizing and just allow that little extra.

Last edited:
Work out your Ib as thats what you should be using, no point in guessing till you have done that.

You also seem to be allowing your full volt drop allowance on your submain, anything left for the final circuit?

Id also be concerned lighting will go in a somepoint worth using that volt drop instead?

Cheers for that, Darkwood. I hear what you're saying about adding lights; they haven't asked me to price for any, but, yes, once I'm out they could plug in a few 3kw heaters, a tea urn and an electric cooker! I have allowed for a 30% addition to my calcs as advised by Telectrix.

There are no services (gas /water/oil) in the workshop. It has steel supports which I will bond through the board. The dno supply is TNCS.

The R1+R2 value of 16mm 2 core SWA is 0.00495 ohms/M which gives 0.8415 @ 170M, and assuming that the max Ze for a TNC-S system should be 0.35 ohms, then the total Zs = 1.195 ohms.

I'm running 3 sockets. 2 of these are side by side with the board and the other is about 3m away, so R1 + R" on the actual circuits should be minimal. I'm running these outlets through separate 16a (B) breakers which allow a max impedance of 2.87 ohms so I should be within parameters i think. Also, bonding the structural steelwork should help.

Read up on your earthing especially extending your equipotential zone or creating a local TT set-up its crucial you understand the requirements and know what size earthing is required and whether a separate core would be big enough to act as the additional requirements for bonding.

Mess this up may mean your install would be dangerous in a DNO fault for instance, if your not sure where Im directing you here you may need to work along side someone with experience in this area and have a hands on learning curve.

Is there something wrong with my calcs?

Not checked them myself what Im getting at is the requirements of extending the equipotential zone with regards to additional earthing that may be required depending on the cable size chosen the csa of the armouring and whether a separate core would suffice, as I don't have the incoming N size I could tell you what is needed and as I don't know your final choice of CSA of the SWA nor can I say whether it will require additional earthing to allow for the bonding of the steel... that is if you choose to extend the equip' zone or whether settle to TT at the shed end.

Hi

Thanks for your time.

Duncan
Circular logic there.
The conductor current rating and voltage drop are two different constraints.

Reply to Voltage drop on swa in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net