• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Voltage drop question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yarcyk

Hi everybody.

I have a question (still learning, passed 17th edition and part P, but I'm not yet registered).
If you use formula from On-Site Guide p.140 what the design current you put in the formula, to calculate max length of cable for 11.5V.
If 32amp then the maximum length of ring final would be around 20metres (both legs parallel) or 16 amps and then around 40 metres in total length of 2.5mm cable.

If this is right how would you wire second floor socket circuit if CU is in the basement (40 metres not quite enough for 3 rooms on 2nd floor).

Hope someone can explain.

Thanks

For volt drop on a ring final the formula is

mV/A/M x ib x L / 1000 / 4

And for maximum length it is

L = 4 x max vd x 1000 / ib x mV/A/M

Try a value of 20A for your design current and work it out.

It came from my brain where it was drummed into me nearly 30 years ago at college.

Ok. Just can't figure out where the "4" comes from.
I found table 7.1 in On-Site Guide which is probably what I was looking for.
It says this table has been designed to enable a radial or ring final circuit to be installed without calculations.

the divide by 4 comes from the same place as with R1+R2 measurements for a RFC. because its a ring, you divide by 2 because the you need the value at the mid point, and then again as you have 2 cables in parallel, sharing the load.

It can be but think says 90m for rfc in osg where if you work it out you can make it longer..

The 4 comes from double the CSA (2legs) and have the distance to teturn

Easy way of thinking about it is a follows: VD = mv/a/m x ib x length / 1000 so if its a ring just divide the ib in half and the length in half or (divide all of it by 4), try it, it works :)

Volt Drop = 18mv/a/m x 32amps ib x 50 mts length /1000 / 4 = 7.2 volts or Volt Drop = 18mv/a/m x 16amps ib x 25 mts length /1000 = 7.2 volts, take your pick.

Sort of. As I can't get values for 5mm cable but work out estimated it's about right. Take voltage drop as 8.5 and Ib 30amps it is roughly 90m.

Yarcyk, I am trying to explain to you how the (4) number is derived, the worked example I gave you is a worked example to help you understand!

Sort of. As I can't get values for 5mm cable but work out estimated it's about right. Take voltage drop as 8.5 and Ib 30amps it is roughly 90m.

Why mess about trying to make up formulae when you have been given the correct ones in post #2

So "4" is there because you calculate VD on one leg (length/2) and as one leg has half of the load ( Ib/2) ?

You are starting to see the light :)

Reply to Voltage drop question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back