Discuss Voltage drop taken to extremes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just been asked to go and check out a new agricultural barn wired up by a builder. The barn is 350m from the house ( where they have fed it from a socket in the living room) and they have fed it with 1.5mm two core SWA." because its only a socket and a couple of lights".

no problem. fit a 110 socket and step up transformer. and some 110v site lights on a string.

top of me 'ed without looking up 13A would just about give a VD of 110V, so ideal for the odd 110V power tools.

the book gives a VD of 130v at 13A, so i was close. like to know a real life figure. of course he could always DUCK out of this one

Well i only had my little fluke T100 on me, so no accurate reading, well below 200V though and I wasnt going to trudge quarter of a mile back down a hillside to get the megger but tel is about right. will get a proper reading at the end of the week but I make it, on paper a VD of 140V!!!!!!

0.031 x 13 x 350

Last edited:
looks like 25mm will be needed as minimum. that will give around 6V VD at 10A.

absolutely right, either way not my problem thank god. Whats 3c 25mm SWA at the moment £5 a meter at least I would think. Thats £1750.....ouch

Last edited:
I guessed at that onsite, 25mm 3 core x 350m = BIG MONEY and the will have to bury it again lol

Now that connection in the back of the living room socket will be worth a photo ! :grin:

(I must improve the speed of my typing , been beaten to it yet again !)

Last edited:
Still, you could always leave the existing cable in as an independent lighting supply. You can fit up to 145W and stay within the 3% VD!

Edit: You might have to put it on a 3A breaker to meet the Zs though.

Last edited:
absolutely right, either way not my problem thank god. Whats 3c 25mm SWA at the moment £5 a meter at least I would think. Thats £1750.....ouch

well a 60m run I installed a couple of months ago was nearly £700, so I hope it's dropped a bit since then!!

Reply to Voltage drop taken to extremes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net