Discuss Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Robo

Iv been calculation voltage drop. Could some see if what im doing is correct.

So from looking in the regs i have found that your aloud 6.9v voltage drop for lights and 11.5v for sockets etc. S i take it that i need to go buy the 6.9 v as i have lights???

Im intending on feeding a new board which has lights and one socket. so 6a and 16a mcb.(Ib=22a)

Customer has already had a 4mm 3 core installed.

so calc is ((mv/a/m) x Ib x L) / 1000

(9.5 x 22 x 60)/1000 = 12.54v So voltage drop is to high and i can not use this cable.

Would it be ok to do this. Use a 10a mcb for the socket and fit a fcu with a 5 a fuse to protect socket.
Ib= 6a + 10a)

(9.5 x 16 x 60)/1000 = 9.12 This is under the voltage drop for sockets but what about lighting part as vd is only 6.9.

I would label socket and say 5a fuse only saying that if i was using a 5a fuse then i could use a 6 mcb and voltage drop would be ok for lights and power.
She intends on running a battery charger from the socket.

So any help would be appreciated, some cow boy clearly didnt do the relevant calcs and now im left to pick up the pieces and try explain. Ideas?? Robo

can't see it pulling 22A steady unless some sort of heating is plugged in.Even so, a couple of 1kw halogen heaters is only 9A. for calculating volt drop, you can apply diversity. that should leave you with an acceptable figure. Personally, I can't see a problem with 4mm, as far as volt drop goes

Last edited:
As telectrix says i can't see there being a problem with 4mm. Your design current is not 22amps. A single socket is 13A and a couple of low energy bulbs is about 0.1A so even if you had the max you are only just over 6.9 volts and anything else would be fine.

also, as the supply is 240, you've got a free 10 volts anyway!!!!!!

Diversity

Lighting : 66% of total demand

Cookers : 10A + 30% balance + 5A for socket outlet

Electric showers : 100% for 1st shower
100% for 2nd shower
25% of the full load of any remaining showers

Immersion heaters : 100%

Underfloor heating : 100%

Storage heaters : 100%

Sockets & permanently connected equipment : 100% of demand of the largest load 40% of demand at every other point.

so for say 3 60w fittings. 120w/230 =0.8a 66% of this is 0.53?

1x 13a socket say its total load is 12a so theres no diversity for this. so could i then say 12.53 is my design current (Ib)

So vd = (9.5 x 12.53 x60) / 1000

So vd is 7.14.

Now do i use 6.9 for lights or 11.5 for power to see if the Vd is acceptable. Sorry for the questions just wana get it straight. Thanks

Need to use the 6.9V as there are lights on the circuit.

so for say 3 60w fittings. 120w/230 =0.8a 66% of this is 0.53?

1x 13a socket say its total load is 12a so theres no diversity for this. so could i then say 12.53 is my design current (Ib)

So vd = (9.5 x 12.53 x60) / 1000

So vd is 7.14.

Now do i use 6.9 for lights or 11.5 for power to see if the Vd is acceptable. Sorry for the questions just wana get it straight. Thanks
3 X 60 watt fittings = 180watts me thinks, getting the initial values right may help you.Think you just type error as you summed it as 180w.

Last edited:
Cheers sintra. So because my vd is a little to high what would you do. \thers no way the customer will wanna replace this cable.thanks

TBH i would think you could save yourself/the customer some money and do without the submain and just fuse the supply down to 10A for the socket (and label it) and down to 3A for the lights and then you will be well within any volt drop limits. What do others think?

Sounds like a plan to me pushrod. As long as its well labelled i think its ok. I didnt kno u could get 10a fuses. Excuse my ignorance

Reply to Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock