Discuss Voltage Indicators to GS38 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

john h owen

I am looking for a GS38 approved Voltage Indicator so far I fancy the Fluke T140 although it is a bit expensive any views/ideas on this subject?

have a look on test-meter, forum sponsor.

Just sent away for a Martindale MTL20 test lamp, with that you have not got the expense of proving unit. (Someone will now tell me i still need a proving unit, bloody hope not!)

Has not arrived yet so can't comment on it yet.

Not sure if you were referring to me Lenny

No mate.:stooge_moe:

I do agree with Mr Skelton in so much as you can use any unit to test for voltage as we are all competant to do so.
But, it is 'reccommended' that a unit with more than one function should not be used to prove dead as it may be inadvertantly set to the wrong unit of measurement.

No mate.:stooge_moe:

I do agree with Mr Skelton in so much as you can use any unit to test for voltage as we are all competant to do so.
But, it is 'reccommended' that a unit with more than one function should not be used to prove dead as it may be inadvertantly set to the wrong unit of measurement.

Can you check out link to see if this fulfills the brief because i am getting confused now!!!

Drummond MTL20 Test Lamp - Martindale Voltage Detectors

yes iIseen that one it looks a good choice,but theT140 has a resistance measurment capacity which could be usful its nearly as useful as a multimeter exept it does not measure current, I guess that would be a good option on them too.

Just sent away for a Martindale MTL20 test lamp, with that you have not got the expense of proving unit. (Someone will now tell me i still need a proving unit, bloody hope not!)

Has not arrived yet so can't comment on it yet.

I take it you mean a Drummond MTL20 (Martindale are the parent company) test lamp. The bad news for you Top Cat, there is no self-test facility, they recommend the Martindale PD440 Proving Unit paired with the Drummond MTL20 for Safe Isolation and Proving Dead. However, the Martindale PD430, 440, 690 and 700 Proving Units are all compatible with the Drummond MTL20. Mean time you can of course use a known supply to 'prove' the lamp, not ideal for compliance with EWR:1989 Regulation 14, but better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I own the fluke T140.

I would recommend them, the fact they do voltage, continuity and resistance is useful.

I'd recommend getting a soft carry case though, they'll last longer and keep in better condition!

CKM

I take it you mean a Drummond MTL20 (Martindale are the parent company) test lamp. The bad news for you Top Cat, there is no self-test facility, they recommend the Martindale PD440 Proving Unit paired with the Drummond MTL20 for Safe Isolation and Proving Dead. However, the Martindale PD430, 440, 690 and 700 Proving Units are all compatible with the Drummond MTL20. Mean time you can of course use a known supply to 'prove' the lamp, not ideal for compliance with EWR:1989 Regulation 14, but better than nothing.

Now you tell me after i bought the bloody thing and found out for myself. :banghead:

Reply to Voltage Indicators to GS38 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net