Discuss Voltage Regulator keeps tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have installed a 16 amp variable voltage regulator to control the voltage for a DC generator running at 6 amps, each time when I switched on the regulator, it trips both the breakers at the generator unit 32a) and also the house breaker and blows the fuse in the plug. If I disconnect the regulator and hard wire it from mains to the bridge rectifier (35a), everything works fine. Did I used the wrong voltage regulator or do I need something else like a speed controller etc ?

What Voltage is the Genset dishing out? and does the output from the Genset correlate with stabiliser?

I don't think it's a genset Pete, generator may be a misnomer.

OP - please can you give more specific info and/or schematic. What type of voltage regulator and what exactly do you mean by 'DC generator'. I'm guessing you have connected a phase-angle controller upstream of a linear power supply, which won't work correctly.

Hi Lucien
It has to run on DC volts to generate hydrogen as if it runs from AC, no gas production. I will try again to upload the diagram later so everyone can see the picture clearer

In your earlier post you provided a picture of the HHO machine you have constructed. This is the circuit diagram for it.
I in this post I repeat that what you have constructed is unsafe- both as a piece of electrical equipment and a producer of flammable hydrogen and oxidising oxygen gases.

All you stated was telling me unsafe as this does not help me further, no explanation whatsoever ? I was just needing some advice from members to point me in the right direction and some members were very helpful

All you stated was telling me unsafe as this does not help me further, no explanation whatsoever ? I was just needing some advice from members to point me in the right direction and some members were very helpful
Think you are overreacting Michael, when someone of Marconi's undoubted knowledge in things like this, you could do no better than listen to his advice.
Instead of whinging about the fact that it has been pointed out that your setup is inherently dangerous, why not ask why it's dangerous, you may get some sound advice.

Last edited:
Unless built and tested to strict constructional standards, the use of non-isolated mains supplies in an electrolytic cell poses a risk of electric shock from any part of the system in liquid contact with the cell. Especially as any upstream RCD protection may be defeated by the rectifier, unless the RCD is DC-sensitive. I cannot say why this particular phase-angle controller doesn't like the otherwise fairly resistive load, but you are using it outside its design envelope so anything might happen.

I am at sea so only occasionally able to access the ef. Lucien points out the danger of electric shock. There are no interlocks to turn off the power when the access door is open and the hho cell is an exposed and energised metal structure. I see no attempt to shield it from being touched or insulate the cell from its surrounding metalwork so what happens if it leaks. The circuit has no functionality to stop gas production when it is not being burned. It has the bare minimum of flash back protection - the bubbler - and there is no sensor to detect the bubbler has the required volume of fluid in it. H2 is a lighter than air gas which will accumulate in the top layer of air in a room if not vented away. H2 burns very well and is easily ignited by low energy sparks. Depending on the stoiochemistry it will either burn, deflagrate (very rapid burning) or if just right and well mixed with air detonate - in both cases with great explosive force and deafening sound. I could go but think hydrogen production is best left to experts and used in legally controlled environment. How well insured are you?

Last edited:
Someone else had advised me to use a Sodium/metal Halide ballast instead of a regulator and depending on the amount of current I required, add them in parallel

Reply to Voltage Regulator keeps tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock