Discuss Voltage standards ???. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dmxtothemax

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I see various voltages popping up in forum here and elsewhere
they seem to quote voltages like 100v, 110v,120v,220v,230v,240.

I was under the impression that most area's of the world are now either 120v or 240v.
many area's of Europe and even Australia now say 230v but is it really ?
Australia was and still is 240v even thou we are officially 230v.
Now I understand why,Forums
as there is an allowed variation which 240 still encompasses.

Even in the USA I see many people quoting 110 or 115v.
But is it really ?
Most of the electricians say that it is in fact 120v.
May have been 110 or 115 a long time ago
But now it's mostly 120v.

So people are there area's where it actually is 230v or even 220v ?
And like wise is there any area's where it actually is 110 or 115v ?
I hear Japan is 100v ?

So where are you from, and what is your actual voltage ?

I see various voltages popping up in forum here and elsewhere
they seem to quote voltages like 100v, 110v,120v,220v,230v,240.

I was under the impression that most area's of the world are now either 120v or 240v.
many area's of Europe and even Australia now say 230v but is it really ?
Australia was and still is 240v even thou we are officially 230v.
Now I understand why,Forums
as there is an allowed variation which 240 still encompasses.

Even in the USA I see many people quoting 110 or 115v.
But is it really ?
Most of the electricians say that it is in fact 120v.
May have been 110 or 115 a long time ago
But now it's mostly 120v.

So people are there area's where it actually is 230v or even 220v ?
And like wise is there any area's where it actually is 110 or 115v ?
I hear Japan is 100v ?

So where are you from, and what is your actual voltage ?
Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

Won't this just list the official voltage for that area ?
As we know official and actual can be different !
We are officially 230vac ( Australia ).
But in reality we are still at 240vac.

Won't this just list the official voltage for that area ?
As we know official and actual can be different !
We are officially 230vac ( Australia ).
But in reality we are still at 240vac.
I think that most countries have their standards, yet in reality they are like the UK and Oz, they say they are say 120V but in reality it's 115V, I have worked overseas a lot and always checked on lists like the one I posted, yet in reality it was + or - 2.5% o either way.

When I was working in Japan in 1988-90 we had some computer equipment designed and built in the UK but for installation in Japan. The voltage was specified as 200 volt (Japan has 100 volt for normal domestic supplies and 200 volt for heavier duty stuff like air conditioning - I had two meters and two electricity bills). The UK design team made an invalid assumption (without consulting me or checking with any other source) that it was just like the UK and that it was live and neutral. I discovered this just before it was being shipped and had to point out that it was effectively 100-0-100 volts and therefore had to be two pole switched.

The domestic 100 volt circuit was similarly 50-0-50 with no earth. For computer equipment that needed an earth there was an earth wire with a spade terminal out of the (American style) two pin plug that you attached to one of the screws that was used to secure the socket to the wall! The 100 volt circuits were each limited to 10 amps. The tumble drier was heated by gas.

I was working in Tokyo - the mains frequency there was 50 Hz. Incidentally the west of Japan uses 60 Hz.

I was providing technical liaison and support to the Japanese partner company for the supply of dealing room equipment (the screens the banks use for trading money, securities etc). I originally designed much of the electronic equipment used to deliver the data on the screens.

Due to the way the distribution networks in the UK are set up they are fixed at a voltage of 250/433 at the output of the final substations.
Voltage regulation is not carried out at this level, it is done via tap changers at the 33kV to 11kV substations.

There are various reasons why it is just not possible to change the voltage to 230/400 without spending billions of pounds

Ukmeterman. So, there is a fault in the power grid oxfordshire.. For example; if there is fault on tranformation high electrical fuse, voltage get up!
And so.
I am asking you a question .
154kV or 380kV is used in the turkey for tranmission line. And UK ? How many voltage?

The UK EHV transmission network is mostly now at 400KV line to line, some parts are still at 275KV line to line and are controled by the national opperator. The distribution within a region may be at 132KV, 66KV, 33KV, some 22KV and the last transformer before use is usually 11kV to 430 / 230V

Reply to Voltage standards ???. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net