Discuss Voltage Testers & Proving Units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

What make of Voltage Tester Do you use?

• Total voters
E

eskimo39

Hi guys, I know this has been covered quite a few times but as I think it is possibly the most essential tool an electrician should have in his bag, I would like to start a thread on what you guys use/feedback and also pro's & con's.

After using Fluke models for quite some years mainly the T3 and T5, I was a bit disappointed to find that their newer T50,T100,T120 & T140 will trip an RCD unless you test between L&N first for a few seconds before testing between L&CPC.

I have spoke to a local company who is going to lend me a few testers on Wednesday for a few weeks and I can hopefully give them all a little test and review on here (combined with my own testers).

I am getting hold of:
Testmate ET100 (Same as sold by NICEIC)
Testmate ET200 (Again as NICEIC but with LCD display)
DI LOG DL6790
DI LOG DL6780
Fluke T5-1000

If you could leave any views on what you have it would hopefully be a useful place to keep adding any new testers which come onto the market (Megger TPT210 & 220 out soon I believe)

Also do you own a proving unit or do you just use a known source?

I have added a poll just for fun, please add your make if you have time. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I use t5-1000. Use known supply (naughty I know), but the only proving unit I know of is about ÂŁ60, and I'm tight. I use the fluke, as it's also good for fault finding.

I do not recommend the Di log voltage/continuity units as the lead is very venerable where it meets the hand unit. My one snapped after 2 months.

I have always liked the steinal viedmuller testers.

Have got a proving unit will check name later and that has lasted years.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

can't beat a Martinale If only it came with a continuity buzzer :mad: got the matching proving unit which is on permanent loan from MITE :p

VI13700G_and_PD690_bundle.jpg

Used to use the FLuke T120 but the cable frayed were it entered the unit.

So, grabbed a Di-log from the suppliers and it seems quite good.

Only thing is, its a little slow to stabilise.

Fluke T5 1000 is the best voltage/continuity tester I ever used.

Had Steinel, Newlec, & Kewtech in the past but Fluke is the better by far.

As for voltage indicator, only ever had the Martindale and not had any problems with it.

mine is a fluke. yellow one with sharp pins and pretty little red LEDs, model unknown, pedigree uncertain, but it lights up, buzzes, and fits in a pocket in my tool bag. SORTED!!!

i have the fluke t5 1000. second one i have had and it`s spot on. never an issue with it. not got a proving unit to speak of

I have got a question: Let's suppose a safe isolation procedure after switching power off... Step1. I test my voltage detector (v.d.) on the proving unit. Step2. Check for 230 V...? None. Step3. Check on proving unit if my v.d. is still working... Ok, working. But... If the proving unit is testing my v.d. on 690V (pretty high), how can I be sure, that it detected 230V (lower value)?
Do you follow me?
The voltage of 230V was tested to be "not present". But maybe it was present... only my v.d. was not sensitive enough to pick it up (some circuitry problem, some resistor burnt out, etc.). And it needed 690V to operate.

Analogy: It's like testing water pressure of 1 bar with an instrument, that was proved to be working... but at 5 bar. Ok. It will work at such an elevated pressure but it doesn't mean it will detect 1 bar. So I don't know if that 1 bar is present or not.

Now, I think that a standard 9V battery would be a much better solution. If my v.d. can pick up 9V, it means it is sensitive, and it is working, and every other value over 9V will be picked up as well.

Do you agree?
Or: what would the inspector answer?

I am asking because Megger launched a proving unit which test 5 levels of voltage.

Reply to Voltage Testers & Proving Units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net