Discuss Vsd: hand/off/auto switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lc1

-
Reaction score
We have an acs800 drive. We also have a hand/off/auto switch. My question is how do we wire this HOA switch into the drive to give a manual start when we also have an auto start going into the drive?

Thanks

We have an external 24v supply. Would we wire this to the hand off auto switch and take the output into the drive as a digital input?

We have an external 24v supply. Would we wire this to the hand off auto switch and take the output into the drive as a digital input?

Depends how the control circuit is wired. In general the switch will have an input from the auto run circuit and let's call it a control circuit permanent live. Output will depend on position of switch

Does anyone know of any example wiring diagrams that would show how this is wired as we also have local start stop push buttons for when the switch is set to hand.

thanks

Every application will be unique, What is the source of signalling when in auto mode? i.e. a PLC or is it controlled only by the VSD HMI?

You need to read the Manual Tony has has kindly linked you to, there is no example wiring diagrams as such because each system will be different and require an alternative wiring arrangement, if you are using an external 24v DC to the drive you need to see how the existing wiring is configured and how the drive is set up as it may not recognise any external voltage.

A knowledge of control wiring and the subsequent regulations is required to do what you are asking, we cannot just draw you a wiring plan we can only show you a generalisation of a common set-up as shown by mechelec...

In auto - what is controlling the drive?
What is the motors job?
Is there any safety issues associated with the existing set-up that need to be considered when using a manual option/auto option like the motor suddenly running when you switch into auto if the run command input is already high.
Are you fitting the drive or adding the switch option to an existing set up, if the latter we need to see the wiring diagram for the existing to be able to put you in the right direction

The answer to what your asking could be very simple or very complex depending on many factors

PS ... just realised your a Trainee... can you expand on that please?

As you are a trainee I'm going to express concern your even asking a question relating to adapting a motor control circuit so I hope this is theorectical and not for practical application, I would advise to ask whoever is overseeing your work as this is not something to be doing unassisted with the aid of a forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I am just curious at this stage. The auto start signal will come from a relay panel. When we turn the switch to hand there will be start/stop push buttons on a station local to the motor. The vsd will be located in the switch room approx 200m away.

You could but more likely you would use volt free contacts from relays/switches for the command signals. The VSD will have its own PSU. Although drives can often be configured by micro switches to use either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I am just curious at this stage. The auto start signal will come from a relay panel. When we turn the switch to hand there will be start/stop push buttons on a station local to the motor. The vsd will be located in the switch room approx 200m away.

This distance alone may cause you issues and corrective measures like line reactors etc and increased earthing are more than likely going to be needed here, whoever is designing this must do so with a full knowledge of the impact such a distance can have on harmonics etc and will need to refer to the manufacturers guidelines on distance, whenever possible its best to locate the drive as close to the motor as possible.
Like I said before, your interest and enthusiam is great but why ask the forum and not the guy designing it on site who will be in a better position to answer you as every install is unique.

Like LeeH says drive can be configured for sink or source (npn/pnp) for control and those that don't have these options can just be strapped down to negative so both drive and external signals are recognised.

This distance alone may cause you issues and corrective measures like line reactors etc and increased earthing are more than likely going to be needed here, whoever is designing this must do so with a full knowledge of the impact such a distance can have on harmonics etc and will need to refer to the manufacturers guidelines on distance, whenever possible its best to locate the drive as close to the motor as possible.
Like I said before, your interest and enthusiam is great but why ask the forum and not the guy designing it on site who will be in a better position to answer you as every install is unique.

Like LeeH says drive can be configured for sink or source (npn/pnp) for control and those that don't have these options can just be strapped down to negative so both drive and external signals are recognised.

Most can DW, not all. As you've said every install in unique.

Yes your right Rob but I'm trying to be as plain and simple as possible here as the OP is a Trainee and the questions he asked are more than advanced for his level so expressing as best I can its not as simple as just pop a relay in, it can get very complicated very quickly if you don't know what your doing, we still haven't been given the info required like what the motor is actually doing and is there an inherent risk here that needs to be considered what making alterations to the control set-up.

I would (if an option with the drive) just have the drive set for signal latch and then a start/stop remote button option can be wired direct to terminal but depends again on what is controlling the auto side ....again a question I asked earlier.

Reply to Vsd: hand/off/auto switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock