Discuss Wago JB / Ceiling Rose JB Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andi Licious

Hi All,

Quick one for someone to clear up for me!

I have a 12 downlight circuit going in my kitchen. I have no ceilings yet (temp light wired off a ceiling rose fitting screwed to underside of joist for now) but the loops to each light location are in, I will be using a "inline" type junction box (with the same terminals as found in a standard ceiling rose) and Wago light connectors at each light location.

My question is do the Ceiling Rose JB and Wago connectors have to be screwed to the joists? I understand the ceiling rose needs to be accessible as it has screw terminals but can it just be pushed into the hole of the first down light and left loose? I can't see how you could access it properly if it is screwed to the joist as you would never get at it again.

Or am I supposed to allow a hatch to gain sufficient access to it screwed in position? I think I would rather mount the ceiling rose JB under the stairs and run the cables out from there instead of having a visible hatch in a nice finished ceiling!

Tiled bathroom floor above the room means I cant just lift a floor board to get to it. Also the new boards are going to be the 8' X 2' so they cant be lifted easily anyway!!

All the cables are clipped up with around 12" of free cable at each light location.

This installation will be my "major works" for my domestic installer visit so I don't want to be pulled up on something small like this.

I have asked 2 old school friends who are electricians the question and got a "just shove it in the ceiling it'll be right" answer. They both state they wouldnt touch domestic as its too much faffing about so I think that is the basis of their answers!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

The box does not need to be secured, but the cables going into it need to be secured inside the box so that they can't be pulled out
.<br><br>I assume its one of the Ashley lighting JBs which will easily fit through the downlighter hole.<br><br>Make sure its well clear of the downlighter itself though.

Yeh thats the type. I just had visions of the NICEIC inspector pulling out through the downlight hole shaking his head! lol

Thank you.

I will move on to my next question with another thread!!

Use the "Lineproducts" torpedo (see sponsor link). They can be used with line or wago connectors, fit through a DL hole and are very quick and easy to use. They also have cable ties for securing the T&E to the torpedo, so no worries about cables pulling out. No-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Just out of interest, you say you have asked a couple of friends, who are electricians, what to do. I'm assuming that you are doing some of the cable pulling for a qulaified electrician to inspect, connect, test and certify all the work?

Hi Guitarist,

I will be doing the testing & certifying. I did the college courses about 5 years back but not much install work since. This will be my major works inspection for NICEIC.

I asked my friends on whether or not I needed to fix the JB's in place and got a half assed answer so wanted to double check, and where better than on a forum where people love to pick fault! I find forum's are usually more strict than any assessment........ lol

Just didn't want to slip up on something like leaving a loose JB in a ceiling void!

Thanks

Andy

Hi Guitarist,

I will be doing the testing & certifying. I did the college courses about 5 years back but not much install work since. This will be my major works inspection for NICEIC.

I asked my friends on whether or not I needed to fix the JB's in place and got a half assed answer so wanted to double check, and where better than on a forum where people love to pick fault! I find forum's are usually more strict than any assessment........ lol

Just didn't want to slip up on something like leaving a loose JB in a ceiling void!

Thanks

Andy

If its a normal JB (accessible), then the cables will need to be clipped, but with internal clamping such as the MF boxes (including LIneProducts) there's no problem with them sitting on the board.
Regarding forums....there are a few where the answers will definitely not point you in the right direction....

20121227_125258.jpg a recent job of mine. the flex disappearing into the ceiling goes into one end of a line "egg". the T/E's come out the other, cables secured to the eggs with zip ties. fittings then just pushed up int place.

Reply to Wago JB / Ceiling Rose JB Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net