Discuss Wagos vs Crimps vs junction boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lumie

-
Reaction score
Whats your thoughts on Wago's? Always preferred a JB or crimps myself. Wago's just don't seem right to me.

There a lot quicker but don't seem so secure.

Whats your guys thoughts?

When does @sparksburntout get back - Dans made a bad spelling button for him!

so so pete. done half a day subbing today. mrs. tel got back from grand canaria last night. pups doing great. we're keeping the white one. they are rare. just chilling with a couple of beers while she watches all the recorded emmeroids soaps she missed for a week, YUK.

i use wagos as my first choice connector these days, but do still use the other options as and when it seems more appropriate.
I don't use keep the push fit wagos in stock, only the lever type as a lot of my work uses flex.

I like both the lever type and push ins for solid conductors, doing a JB in a loft for example is so much quicker and easier than the old screw terminal type.

Love wagos. Use them and the Hager mf jbs mainly. Not used a traditional olde fashioned jb in years. Using wagos with the line grenades is even quicker still.

Whats your thoughts on Wago's?

No 1 Always preferred a JB or crimps myself.

No 2 Wago's just don't seem right to me.

No3 There a lot quicker but don't seem so secure.

Whats your guys thoughts?
Please excuse me altering your post layout
This should stir up some emotional replies :)

No 1 I always have and do still prefer crimps

No 2 Completely and utterly agree with you, all of a sudden,suspect and shoddy push fit connections have become widely accepted

No 3 The first part of the sentence is possibly the reason that the 2nd part is put aside ;)

I hear what you are saying Des on point 2, and I have had that thought myself. My view is that the manufacturers have obviously gone through a lot of testing to bring their products to the market, and the powers that be have deemed them acceptable. Also there is a video of a Wago getting pumped with something like 100A. Eventually the plastic casing all burns/melts away with the metal spring contacts still holding the cable nicely. That video helped in reassuring me that Wagos are fit for purpose.

And yeah I agree there Leader, pushing the CPCs in can be a pain.

No 2 Completely and utterly agree with you, all of a sudden,suspect and shoddy push fit connections have become widely accepted

;)

Every method of connection can be suspect and shoddy if not fitted properly.

I've had no problems yet with any push fit connection I've used whether it's wagos, din rail connectors or the quick fit ceeform plugs and sockets, but then I also have never had a problem with any screwed connection or crimp that I've used.
lever type wagos are my preferred connector as they can connect solid and/or stranded cables securely without the possibility of a screw terminal damaging the conductor.

I nipped into a neighbours after work yesterday to sort out some lighting issues (5 different issues. 5 different rooms!) I used for the first time the 'ideal' push fits in the light fitting as no 3 plate and earth and wiring was a right old mess. I tidied and re terminated using the push fits with some new singles in places and not only was it neat and easy to do - it sorted out that one lighting problem. I used the money for a takeaway.
Until this job I was unsure of push fits, didn't really like them in modern lighting jb's but I think I'll give them a go on occasion.

In the 1960's when I was doing my apprenticeship I remember a similar argument about crimped connections when they were brought in to replace the old Ross Courtney star washer arrangement and 7/029" wiring. The CEGB in those days had standards for everything and were extremely risk averse. It took years before Amp and their crimps went on the approved list. It took even longer before engineers and wiremen trusted them.
I myself am only just beginning to trust Wagos', they are a huge time saver and I have never known one to fail, not just Wago but the Ideal and Hager JB803's also.

Reply to Wagos vs Crimps vs junction boxes? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock