Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Wall Anchor Tool Required? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pete E

Pete E DIY

A friend borrowed my Wall Anchor Tool and its now buggered...

This was only a cheap Silverline item and probably hasn't been used on more than a dozen fixings in its life.

Looking at it, it seems one of the rivet's that act as a pivot as been ripped out of the wall of tool...

I know Silverline is cheap nasty stuff, but most of the other tools I've seen on line look exactly the same, and I suspect are mass produced in the same Chinese factory.

So does anyone know of a decent quality tool for the job?

Regards,

Peter

2. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Ive never used the tool to set them in. I use a battery drill set on a low torque setting and screw them so the anchor opens and grips and then reverse the screw back out.
    Just make sure the spikes are firmly set in the plaster board and don’t let the anchor spin round

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

Never found setting tool much use, agree with KEV to use drill. However, there are just so many types of anchor I get confused as to which type to use, especially into plasterboard. I guess it's all to do with the expected load etc but I have at least six different types in my bag that I use frequently, and another 6 or so odd ones to get me out of trouble when the wall is difficult, or I have bodged the first attempt. What are you favourite ones?

4. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

I mainly use these for fixing light loads to plaster board walls, but if the plaster board is soft, they just spin....
    0453D1E1-2D5A-4BFB-B33C-2038CBBDDB73.png
    ....I’ve seen kitchen units and spur shelving put up with these:eek:

These are useful for heavy loads but you can’t take the screw back out....
    2F9B2548-8CD1-40D7-99C7-8C09089A8EA6.jpeg

5. gutterball

gutterball Electrician's Arms

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Timbo

Timbo Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    TechFix Services
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

WP_20180120_11_02_39_Pro[1].jpg
    Oh, the choice...

8. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

WP_20180120_11_12_50_Pro[1].jpg
    Little n large...

9. Pete E

Pete E DIY

What is the one on the right in that picture? Not seen that type before...

10. Pete E

Pete E DIY

I've used those a lot over the years and quite like them for light loads although I have put up shelves in an airing cupboard and they have held quite a good weight...

With regards soft plasterboard, If working at home or where I have the time, I have primed the hole with glue and effectively glued the plug in before placing the screw. Its not the complete answer but it helps a lot.

11. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

It's a "metal driva" and very secure as it is a clamp-type fitting. As you can see, it is an old screwfix item and I don't think they carry them nowadays. However, you may be able to get them here

Spit Driva Plus Self Drilling Plasterboard Fixing High Performance 12mm c/w Screws Bag of 25 - https://www.bradfords.co.uk/spit-driva-plus-self-drilling-plasterboard-fixing-high-performance-12mm-c-w-screws-bag-of-25-spf111

basically the standard metal one like 2nd from right in the pic, but with the long screw-form body replaced with a toggle. You screw them in, the toggle drops by gravity and then the screw engages in a thread in the toggle, pulling it up tight against the back of the plasterboard.
    WP_20180120_12_58_26_Pro[1].jpg

12. pirate

pirate Regular EF Member

I agree, glueing is a way round soft board. Also, if you have overdrilled, or pulled out a screwin plug like the lefthand one in the pic (they leave a big hole!) then this can help
    WP_20180120_12_58_40_Pro[1].jpg
    You dip the discs in water, squeeze the excess out, wrap around the new plug fixing, using one or more discs as required, and let them set. The excess disc can be sanded off the surface. Not recommended for heavy items though!

13. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    always prefer to go through into the masonry . long screws. then again on new builds the inner skin is usually made from coke dust.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pete E

Pete E DIY

They quote some impressive weight ratings on their site...The largest Blue gripit is rated to 250lb, but surely the plasterboard would have failed long before that weight was achieved?