Discuss Wall Anchor Tool Required? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
A friend borrowed my Wall Anchor Tool and its now buggered...

This was only a cheap Silverline item and probably hasn't been used on more than a dozen fixings in its life.

Looking at it, it seems one of the rivet's that act as a pivot as been ripped out of the wall of tool...

I know Silverline is cheap nasty stuff, but most of the other tools I've seen on line look exactly the same, and I suspect are mass produced in the same Chinese factory.

So does anyone know of a decent quality tool for the job?

Regards,

Peter

Ive never used the tool to set them in. I use a battery drill set on a low torque setting and screw them so the anchor opens and grips and then reverse the screw back out.
Just make sure the spikes are firmly set in the plaster board and don’t let the anchor spin round

Never found setting tool much use, agree with KEV to use drill. However, there are just so many types of anchor I get confused as to which type to use, especially into plasterboard. I guess it's all to do with the expected load etc but I have at least six different types in my bag that I use frequently, and another 6 or so odd ones to get me out of trouble when the wall is difficult, or I have bodged the first attempt. What are you favourite ones?

I mainly use these for fixing light loads to plaster board walls, but if the plaster board is soft, they just spin....
Wall Anchor Tool Required? 0453D1E1-2D5A-4BFB-B33C-2038CBBDDB73 - EletriciansForums.net
....I’ve seen kitchen units and spur shelving put up with these:eek:

These are useful for heavy loads but you can’t take the screw back out....
Wall Anchor Tool Required? 2F9B2548-8CD1-40D7-99C7-8C09089A8EA6 - EletriciansForums.net

I mainly use these for fixing light loads to plaster board walls, but if the plaster board is soft, they just spin....
View attachment 40321
....I’ve seen kitchen units and spur shelving put up with these:eek:

I've used those a lot over the years and quite like them for light loads although I have put up shelves in an airing cupboard and they have held quite a good weight...

With regards soft plasterboard, If working at home or where I have the time, I have primed the hole with glue and effectively glued the plug in before placing the screw. Its not the complete answer but it helps a lot.

It's a "metal driva" and very secure as it is a clamp-type fitting. As you can see, it is an old screwfix item and I don't think they carry them nowadays. However, you may be able to get them here

Spit Driva Plus Self Drilling Plasterboard Fixing High Performance 12mm c/w Screws Bag of 25 - https://www.bradfords.co.uk/spit-driva-plus-self-drilling-plasterboard-fixing-high-performance-12mm-c-w-screws-bag-of-25-spf111

basically the standard metal one like 2nd from right in the pic, but with the long screw-form body replaced with a toggle. You screw them in, the toggle drops by gravity and then the screw engages in a thread in the toggle, pulling it up tight against the back of the plasterboard.
Wall Anchor Tool Required? WP_20180120_12_58_26_Pro[1] - EletriciansForums.net

I agree, glueing is a way round soft board. Also, if you have overdrilled, or pulled out a screwin plug like the lefthand one in the pic (they leave a big hole!) then this can help
Wall Anchor Tool Required? WP_20180120_12_58_40_Pro[1] - EletriciansForums.net
You dip the discs in water, squeeze the excess out, wrap around the new plug fixing, using one or more discs as required, and let them set. The excess disc can be sanded off the surface. Not recommended for heavy items though!

Reply to Wall Anchor Tool Required? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock