Discuss Wall Chasing Machine for installing electrical wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nuvo

hi there im thinking of getting some sort of chasing machine i already have a dust extractor anyone recommend one. just for odd chases is it worth it . i was thinking of a makita cordless grinder i know i couldnt use the extractor on that but whats the dust like when cutting out boxes and chases with one.

anyone shed a light on it.

hi there im thinking of getting some sort of chasing machine i already have a dust extractor anyone recommend one. just for odd chases is it worth it . i was thinking of a makita cordless grinder i know i couldnt use the extractor on that but whats the dust like when cutting out boxes and chases with one.

You'll fill a room with dust in seconds using a grinder.

Not used that specific one, I've got a mains Bosch one myself, but whatever grinder you use it will be dusty (one of the most dusty tools you are likely to use). However, contrary to what you've said above you can get extractor attachments for most brands of grinder, but all the ones I've seen affect the depth to which you can cut (it might still be deep enough for boxes but worth checking before you buy).

If you were thinking of getting a dedicated chasing machine the Metabo MFE30 is pretty good and it or something similar will save you time over and is neater than using a grinder when doing chases (quite expensive though), but they are not very practical for back boxes (not really designed for it and pretty heavy).

im a woman pete using the drill on chipper atm just want a neater chase and sink are the box sinking kits anygood

I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of each method, if you usw a grinder you will get dust, lots of dust more to clean up, depends on the material you are chasing, I finished work last March and all I ever used was a 2lb lump hammer and a cold chisel, but there are those who consider me a bit of a dinosaur.

I have a mains one & extractor but the dust created is massive. Only recommended if doing a full house refurb/rewire & no other trades there - you also need a decent mask & goggles.

On softer wall surface a fein saw (or similar) offers nice neat chases.

Festool Diamond Cutting System DSC-AG 125 FH-Plus 769954 was thinking one of these

Not cheap is it. Max cutting depth appears to be 27mm. So would be fine for most of you boxes, and FESTOOL is usually top of the range, but if you use a lot of 35mm boxes (and the odd 47mm) then you might want to check the guard can be taken off before buying.

your better for mastering the sds for the odd chase, for re wires get a metabo wall chaser. I wouldn't buy a festool as their expensive and not compatible with standard issue drill bits. Box sinking kits are a waste of money and take ages to setup.

I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of each method, if you usw a grinder you will get dust, lots of dust more to clean up, depends on the material you are chasing, I finished work last March and all I ever used was a 2lb lump hammer and a cold chisel, but there are those who consider me a bit of a dinosaur.

A dinosaur with forearms like popeye, ah kakakaka

Did you still use a hand drill and a yankee aswell pete?

im a woman pete using the drill on chipper atm just want a neater chase and sink are the box sinking kits anygood

Box sinkers are useless. I had a reasonably high range one that I used once and sold on ebay.
For channelling, I use a “SDS Plus Channelling Chisel” (See screwfix) which I find quicker than just the SDS chisel, and significantly neater edges. Not as neat as a dedicated channelling tool, but pretty good.

No I did manage to come to terms with progress and get some battery driven bits and bobs, BUT I still have a Rawlplug jumper, i imagine that will amuse so of the younger bods, if they know what one is.

Yep I know what one is. Never used one or seen one used though. Apparently a workmate of mine used to use one in the 90's !! He is from West Yorkshire though and they are a few decades behind over there.

Reply to Wall Chasing Machine for installing electrical wiring? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net