Discuss Wall light problems!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you've only got 2 cables at the 1st light then one is most likely sw l & n, the other the feed out to the 2nd light. Currently it looks like you may have 2 n's going to light 2. However, you also have a (presumably) paying customer, another fault, no test equipment, not a clue, so good luck!

Last edited:
DC I think Goasis and Pete999 have been very honest in their answers and without test equipment you are going to struggle with fault finding on any job, however simple it may first appear. Perhaps on this occasion be true to yourself and leave it until you have the proper equipment to help diagnose the problem.

Because you have a three core cable at the switch spread across two switches I would try and trace what has been done at the light that is switched by the other switch, the cable is probably jointed there to avoid a mass of cables at the wall lights.
I assume you have sleeved the "live" cpc in both a green and yellow and a brown sleeve and put that in the single terminal block on its own.

Looks like cable to the first wall light then out to the other. Were these working before? Why have you installed incorrect sleeving on?

Because you have a three core cable at the switch spread across two switches I would try and trace what has been done at the light that is switched by the other switch, the cable is probably jointed there to avoid a mass of cables at the wall lights.
I assume you have sleeved the "live" cpc in both a green and yellow and a brown sleeve and put that in the single terminal block on its own.
Indeed. It is only sleeved like that so I have a note of it

It's simple really, these are the facts:

You can't leave it like it is.
You can't fix it.
You haven't got currently test kit to test it or fault find it.

So the answer is they need to get an electrician to come and sort it. Maybe someone on here is nearby?

I think what we have here is a case of a person with god intentions, being misinformed by the training establishments. A property developer trying to make a living, and gaining qualifications, hoping that all will go well, but unfortunately he has come up against a problem, which in all honesty the training undertaken, should have allowed him to sort the problem out fairly easily.
Personally I don't think we should knock the individual in this case, it's obvious that the training he has undertaken, was a waste of time and money, maybe his fault, I'm not sure, but OP you need to take stock and employ someone who has the experience and underpinning knowledge to help you out, sorry but that's how I see the problem. Good luck.

I think what we have here is a case of a person with god intentions, being misinformed by the training establishments. A property developer trying to make a living, and gaining qualifications, hoping that all will go well, but unfortunately he has come up against a problem, which in all honesty the training undertaken, should have allowed him to sort the problem out fairly easily.
Personally I don't think we should knock the individual in this case, it's obvious that the training he has undertaken, was a waste of time and money, maybe his fault, I'm not sure, but OP you need to take stock and employ someone who has the experience and underpinning knowledge to help you out, sorry but that's how I see the problem. Good luck.
That's all very well Pete, but what cheeses me off is the fact that some poor sod is giving this joker his hard earned £££'s and expecting him to do the job as no doubt advertised.

That's all very well Pete, but what cheeses me off is the fact that some poor sod is giving this joker his hard earned £££'s and expecting him to do the job as no doubt advertised.
Totally agree Mate, I was only expressing my take on the issue, maybe some Policing is required, it cheeses me off as well but unless steps are taken to stop this type of scam, all one can do is state their disapproval, feel for the OP but??????????????????????????????/

This is embarrassing I could of sorted this as a second year apprentice, paying money for a qualification does not give you the mental aptitude required or the practical skill.

Advertising yourself as an electrician and conning the general public into paying for your somewhat limiting skills is what makes this situation sad. Give up before you do someone harm.

Reply to Wall light problems!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net