Discuss Wall-mounting a TV in the best way in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening all!
I have this job ahead of me, and sadly it's not on a nice clean plasterboard cavity wall, but on a thick-plastered brick wall in a Victorian flat.
Now, I have done some research into this, but quite frankly I would rather have some of you experienced folks point me at the best way to achieve this.
To give you the full picture (did you see what I did there?) the TV will be mounted above a mock fireplace which I have just installed, and which is currently removable, until I have finished everything and have done all the filling etc. Therefore, the vertical distance from the back of the TV to the top of the fireplace is only about 1 foot, or less...below the mantlepiece the cable can exit into the free space behind, and will then be routed to one side, above the skirting, via a drilled hole in the side of the fireplace, a bit of trunking, to the double socket 2 feet away.
The plaster is about 1.5 inches thick. Being honest, would you just raggle it, stick in some trunking, and plaster over?
I know...not best practice, but surely it's obvious there's a cable or two under there? I would label the replastered area. I had to cut the telephone cable when fitting the fireplace, and join it with some new stuff...different colours...put a wee label in the socket for the next guy, and although only 2 wires were in use, I connected 4 for possible future use (Ok, I lied, that was just to help me when I have to do some more work and can't remember what I did!)
Right, buried cables, less than 50mm, but bl**dy obvious...do I protect it?
Any suggestions gratefully received...and brickbats too! The customer is not fussy, but is a VIP!

You’re gonna have to start taking photos to show us - too many words to describe the fireplace situation - I’ll have another go in 5 minutes!

Nice mock fireplace! Piece of oval chased in then filled? Trunking the same I guess. Nice colour wall.
Care when fixing the socket on the wall behind the TV that it doesn’t coincide with the TV bracket - measure twice fit once.

Good evening all!
I have this job ahead of me, and sadly it's not on a nice clean plasterboard cavity wall, but on a thick-plastered brick wall in a Victorian flat.
Now, I have done some research into this, but quite frankly I would rather have some of you experienced folks point me at the best way to achieve this.
To give you the full picture (did you see what I did there?) the TV will be mounted above a mock fireplace which I have just installed, and which is currently removable, until I have finished everything and have done all the filling etc. Therefore, the vertical distance from the back of the TV to the top of the fireplace is only about 1 foot, or less...below the mantlepiece the cable can exit into the free space behind, and will then be routed to one side, above the skirting, via a drilled hole in the side of the fireplace, a bit of trunking, to the double socket 2 feet away.
The plaster is about 1.5 inches thick. Being honest, would you just raggle it, stick in some trunking, and plaster over?
I know...not best practice, but surely it's obvious there's a cable or two under there? I would label the replastered area. I had to cut the telephone cable when fitting the fireplace, and join it with some new stuff...different colours...put a wee label in the socket for the next guy, and although only 2 wires were in use, I connected 4 for possible future use (Ok, I lied, that was just to help me when I have to do some more work and can't remember what I did!)
Right, buried cables, less than 50mm, but bl**dy obvious...do I protect it?
Any suggestions gratefully received...and brickbats too! The customer is not fussy, but is a VIP!
Only you could ask this question lol, please tell me your having a laugh.

Thanks Rpa07! I picked up the fireplace from the bargain rail at the big orange shed, then added the mouldings to the uprights and across the main face below the mantlepiece, then drilled and shaped the skirtings to accommodate the hearth. The wall was white, as were the other 3, but the customer insisted on that shade of blue for that wall...(stiffkey, from Crown Decorators Centre-a quarter the price of Farrow&Ball and 10x the pigment!)
Very timely reminder about the location of the socket vs the bracket...thanks for that! Measure twice...my Dad always told me that...and he built boats, so knew what he was talking about:)

obviously you need a socket up there for tv, but for the hdmi leads for smart tv boxes, dvd, laptops etc I have used one of these kits... you put one adaptor on wall behind tv and then run a cat5 to the other adpator in a cupboard or unit containing the media devices. it keeps the tv area nice and tidy when wall mounted. if you can mount the tv far enough off wall without making it look daft you can use a powerline adaptor to feed the hdmi adaptor, it saves running a cat5 in wall. that way all you need up there is a power outlet.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LogiLink-HDMI-Extender-CAT-5-cable/dp/B0038YXJ1W
meant to add you could also do usb over cat5 to allow for usb media devices in the cabinet to left of fire place.

Oh MDJ...no, I really am asking! Hoped someone would give me some tips...I have done a few of these, but it's amazing how asking sometimes gives you answers you hadn't thought of...and Rpa07 just reminded me of a basic point I might well have overlooked. I am old, you see...and have learned to keep asking and keep learning...
and it's "you're", btw!
Plus, I am going to secrete a Treasure Map in the cavity! All you need to know is the address!

Thanks Gavin JH, good thinking there...I use powerline adaptors quite a lot for broadband but hadn't thought it through this far.
I can mount TV with enough wall-offset, plus there is a cupboard very close as seen in picture. I think customer has Humax freesat and NowTV boxes, so HDMI cables. The TV has a detachable power lead, moulded 13A plug to cloverleaf.

Dave OCD, thanks for that, I wondered if 50x25 might do the trick. So glad I asked this, so many suggestions! and to think I might have just gone ahead with a raggle and a bit of galvanised strap buried in there!

As to the VIP customer...
well, don't tell anyone...
but she and I are quite close!
(No! Not my wife!)

Yeah I'm with Dave with the Trunking.

I think in this situation I would stick a dual item box (Brush plate and single socket) where the TV is to be mounted ( probably slightly offset like Rpa07 mentioned because of the bracket)

Then id chase 2 x bits of 50x25mm trunking (or 1 trunking 1 oval) down vertically to a twin box directly bellow but the same hight as the existing sockets which i would put a blank plate on then chase 2x bits of trunking to vertically to another dual item box next to your exiting socket (Switched f spur/ brush plate)

In the Trunking put 2x hdmi 1 x cat5e 2x coax) use the other trunking or oval for the power.

If you need to ever get more cables up just pull out the mock fire place and your be able to remove the blank and pull both ways.
If you have a flat to wall bracket the switch spur below allows you to easily isolate the TV.

Maybe a bit of overkill but might save you time in the long run.

Last edited:
well all
Thanks Gavin JH, good thinking there...I use powerline adaptors quite a lot for broadband but hadn't thought it through this far.
I can mount TV with enough wall-offset, plus there is a cupboard very close as seen in picture. I think customer has Humax freesat and NowTV boxes, so HDMI cables. The TV has a detachable power lead, moulded 13A plug to cloverleaf.
hdmi then, so can use the power over ethernet system i sent link for to avoid having devices in plain sight. you can run another cat5 to behind tv for future upgrades and smart tvs etc...

Jeeeeez the OP could have just asked "how do I mount a TV in an old house on the wall"

We need a new Youtube Channel, any other other comedian on here want to go "halves", Wilko?

So I could have! However, some people have some ideas, and that's the good thing about a forum:)
Thanks to all who contributed!

Reply to Wall-mounting a TV in the best way in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock