Discuss Want to get ELECSA but....... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AshFR

Hi all. Ive recently gone self employed and looking to get ELECSA but looking on website i need a site visit. Obviously as ive only just gone self employed i havent got many jobs at the moment. Do i really need to go ELECSA before doing any work in a bathroom, kitchen or outside? As this is going to prove difficult if BY LAW i need to be ELECSA, NICEIC, etc......... and how can you do a site visit if you have to be ELECSA approved before doing the work? Also i cant show any previous work as ive fell out with my previous employer unfortunately (long story and not work related).

Im NVQ Level 3 Electrical Installation and AM2 Exam.

Thanks all.

Notifiable work under new part p is for New circuits, New CCUs, work inside the Zones of a Bathroom

You could do a Rewire then Either notify through LABC or use for your Job for your assessment with ELCSA and time it so the job finishes and is certified a couple of days before your assessment, When you pass then notify through ELECSA Job done

They just want your money basically the site visit isn't hard just brush up on reg's, building reg,s, safe isolation and carrying out required tests contact them they will send you a pack of whats required for the visit

I did the exact same thing as like you was in same predicament regarding needing a notifiable job for registering and site visit with elecsa

I contacted Labc they wanted £190 per job regardless of Quals Depends on your local LABC some will accept your cert some will send there own 3rd party to check your work

Just do the job you need for ELECSA, Pay your money wait for date then date your cert just before and after notify when you have been accepted and have your details to log on and notify

Last edited:
Right ive got a job come up where im installing a shower. Seperate CU 10mm t+e then through wall to adaptable box to SWA then to another adaptable box, 10mm in to bathroom under bath then up the wall to switch and down to shower.

Would this be any good for ELECSA?

Ok thanks very much. TBH i really cant afford the price of it at the moment but it has to be done, or am i wrong? Is it required by law?

On a plus note, my ECS/JIB card come through the post yesterday :)

If you are doing electrical work that must be notified to building control then you must notify building control, by law.
You can do this by informing BC in advance and getting them to monitor the work as far as they see fit and charge you a lot of money for doing so (each job at about the cost of registering with a SCS for one year.)
Some councils are more enlightened and if you have the required qualifications they may permit you to just submit the installation certificate, possibly at some cost.
Alternatively you can register with a scheme and self notify through the scheme for a small sum for each job.

Ok thanks very much. TBH i really cant afford the price of it at the moment but it has to be done, or am i wrong? Is it required by law?

On a plus note, my ECS/JIB card come through the post yesterday :)

So you want to be working as a professional Electician, yet you want to start by breaking the law. Do you have PL ins?

AND if you pop over the border and work in Wales you need to read and understand the "older" version of Part P too.

If you are doing electrical work that must be notified to building control then you must notify building control, by law.
You can do this by informing BC in advance and getting them to monitor the work as far as they see fit and charge you a lot of money for doing so (each job at about the cost of registering with a SCS for one year.)
Some councils are more enlightened and if you have the required qualifications they may permit you to just submit the installation certificate, possibly at some cost.
Alternatively you can register with a scheme and self notify through the scheme for a small sum for each job.

Thank you. Got much better idea about it all now. I will be sure to sort a scheme out asap. Thanks very much.

So you want to be working as a professional Electician, yet you want to start by breaking the law. Do you have PL ins?

AND if you pop over the border and work in Wales you need to read and understand the "older" version of Part P too.

I didnt say i wanted to break the law, not at all. I was asking a question that i wasnt entirely 100% sure about, thats what a forum is about i thought or am i wrong. Now i know i will be sure to sort a scheme out. FYI, yes i have PL Insurance of £5M. Thanks.

Reply to Want to get ELECSA but....... in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net