• Please don't put your personal contact details in this area of the forum. These are public threads and everybody will see them. Including spammers. Even dodgy companies who cold call you. Instead of doing that, click on a persons username and click 'Start Conversation' and share those details between yourselves. :)

Discuss Wanted, calibration service in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stuart B

Anyone know where I can get my Unitest insulation, RCD & loop testers calibrated in East Anglia (Ipswich)? Just trying to save on a bit of postage.

Mike from On Site Calibration Services | Mobile Calibration Services does mobile calibration. i.e. he will come to you which is perfect for saving postage and time.

I've only used him once so far but I was impressed and will use him again next year.

Seconded. Just had him round today to do my PAT tester - previously used him to do my MFT. Very reasonable price, but the convenience of him coming to you is the best bit. Plus he is very knowledgeable about different testers.

Had a visit from the NIC on Monday, Offered the calibration cert and was told it's not worth the paper it's written on, Apparantly now we need something called ongoing accuracy with meters, A proving unit to prove it's accuracy (to be done every 3 months) It's a new one on me

Had a visit from the NIC on Monday, Offered the calibration cert and was told it's not worth the paper it's written on, Apparantly now we need something called ongoing accuracy with meters, A proving unit to prove it's accuracy (to be done every 3 months) It's a new one on me

I assume they just want a check record so you can spot if it goes faultly. A few resistors from maplin for low resistance and IR tests and a socket to test voltage, Zs and RCD on does the job there. Either that or a regular check against another tester if you have access to one.
This should be in addition to a cal cert though, not a replacement. Or at least that is what I have been told by a number of people including elecsa.

If they are asking for more than that then take your fees elsewhere?

My 1553 is 5 yrs old.Mike from On site callibration had it the other day, still as accurate as ever. Has anyones MFT ever strayed off kilter? Not an obvious fault, but lost accuracy?
I agree, Mike does it for £45 over the weekend, great service.

Another shout for Onsite Calibration services. Had Mike check my meters for the last 3 or 4 years running, great guy plus my meter never has to leave my side.

No doubt some of the hierarchy in the NIC have contacts in the calibration world and they're not getting a good enough cut. What a load of bolloks, annual calibration is a good enough industry standard across most regimes, why should the NIC be any different. Sorry I forgot, they are the be all and end all of the job...

Annual calibration is good enough for insurance and your own confidence, the vast majority of MFT's will never go out of calibration through normal use, just good to have the annual confirmation.

Had a few beers and this has struck a nerve... Good job I have spillchack...

My 1553 is 5 yrs old.Mike from On site callibration had it the other day, still as accurate as ever. Has anyones MFT ever strayed off kilter? Not an obvious fault, but lost accuracy?
I agree, Mike does it for £45 over the weekend, great service.

I got Mike to do a mates Metrel and he had to fail it - loop test and RCD were out. So it does happen. On the other hand my Fluke (about 5 years old I think) was spot on. I reckon leads is probably the biggest problem which is why I can see a check process every month or so is a good idea. It doesn't need any expensive kit though!

Sighhhhhhhhh.... Oh here we go again, NICEIC. Bashing!!. Right, what the NICEIC want you to have is a record of basic calibration checks, done monthly, using a £20 calcard or home made similar.

That way in the event of your meter going out of calibration a record can be produced for that meter showing its most recent accuracy, other wise if your meter was calibrated 11 1/2 months ago, and it's now showing faulty readings, all of your testing in the last say 11 months can be called into question, and anyone such as HSE, site/ contracts managers can then ask you to go back and re test everything in that 11 month period.

If you can produce monthly records then they may only call in to question the last couple of tests.

This is supposed to be supplementary to annual calibration and my Area eng, describes it as "rectum protectum" seems to make sense to me!

Sighhhhhhhhh.... Oh here we go again, NICEIC. Bashing!!. Right, what the NICEIC want you to have is a record of basic calibration checks, done monthly, using a £20 calcard or home made similar.

That way in the event of your meter going out of calibration a record can be produced for that meter showing its most recent accuracy, other wise if your meter was calibrated 11 1/2 months ago, and it's now showing faulty readings, all of your testing in the last say 11 months can be called into question, and anyone such as HSE, site/ contracts managers can then ask you to go back and re test everything in that 11 month period.

If you can produce monthly records then they may only call in to question the last couple of tests.

This is supposed to be supplementary to annual calibration and my Area eng, describes it as "rectum protectum" seems to make sense to me!

Isn't that what I said in post 10? :)

Came across this in Electro Facts mag last month....

www.testcal.co.uk

I wonder if this would suffice as a 'check box' in the eyes of the scams?

I got one of those with my meter. it does the job fine for IR and resistance. Then just select a socket in your house to do Zs and RCD tests.
Elecsa have a checksheet in their download section for those that can't be bother to write their own.
Elecsa - Useful Downloads (at the bottom)

Reply to Wanted, calibration service in the For Sale and Wanted Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net