• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Wanted - Trainee sparky job near Stevenage in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello again everybody,

I'm 33 years old and looking to retrain from a mind numbing office job. I did some building work back when I left school and I've always wanted to get back into it. Well, at the ripe old age of 33, it's now or never.

I have a loose plan in place to get qualified. That is to start with the Health and Safety course so I can get an ECS card (probably labourers to start). This actually flags up my first problem as you can't get the card without being employed within a sparky company, equally I'm not a strong candidate for a job if I can't enter a building site working with a sparky.

After or whilst getting the ECS card I have identified C&G 2365 Level 2 ad Level 3 to learn as a distance learning/weekend course. This would then set me up to get an NVQ Level 3. The NVQ level 3 seems to be the point where I can really excel as a qualified sparky.

Of course this whole process isn't easy will take at least a couple of years, and the hardest bit by far is finding someone to 'take a chance' on me as a trainee.

So, if anyone reading this is in a position to advise me, talk to me about a possible job role, or knows someone who might be able to help, please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Had this problem when I started. ECS appears designed to be obstructive. The basic Electrical Labourer's card (brown strip to reinforce your status ;) didn't require an employer's name. Everything about ECS is designed to frustrate-just keep going; even when you are at college the Labourer card will do. When you pass; don't be surprised when there's no easy way to request the card on their website; just email them.

Had this problem when I started. ECS appears designed to be obstructive. The basic Electrical Labourer's card (brown strip to reinforce your status ;) didn't require an employer's name. Everything about ECS is designed to frustrate-just keep going; even when you are at college the Labourer card will do. When you pass; don't be surprised when there's no easy way to request the card on their website; just email them.
Yeah, I’ve had another think, I’m just going to pass the H&S assessment then if/when I’m offered a job I’ll be able to apply for the card straight away. By the time I’ve completed a 4 week notice period at work I should have the card

All the best with your venture, are you on a decent salary? could you drop to apprentice wage?
I’m not on a great salary at the moment. I’ve worked my way up from a factory shop floor. I’ve been in the offices for a year now so still a fair way to go for a big wage. I do look at electricians wages on job ads and a qualified electrician is on more than me. I can afford to take a low wage for a couple of years.
Due to the stores/factory background I’m also looking for jobs at electrical supply shops, that way I’ll see all the new developments and current parts used by tradesmen. Also I’ll get to meet all the local sparks :)

I think for now I'd be better to get the city and guilds qualifications then apply for a trainee role. I would apply for an apprentice position but people tend to go straight to colleges for apprentices as far as I know.
I think I'll try find a local sparky that would be happy for a free pair if hands to help on a few Saturdays too. That way I can get a bit more practical experience.
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Reply to Wanted - Trainee sparky job near Stevenage in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock