Discuss Warning: Do not work for ahearne agency in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkintraining

Just a heads up for anyone doing agency work. If you come across an agency called Ahearne stay well clear. They used to be called Gulmanda. I worked for them for 8days hired by an Irish woman called Jackie. She always uses a mobile never an office number. Tried to force me to go under the umbrella instead of self employed. When I have called her asking for my pay she sends messages like "in a meeting, I'm driving and I'm at the cinema". Hope this advice helps you.

Instead of being self employed they pay you through a payroll company umbrella scheme. They tax you 30% and 2 national insurances. You also pay the agency and payrolls tax.

Sorry I meant you pay their national insurance not 100% sure about their tax. Basically the umbrella scheme is not worth doing especially if you are registered self employed

there is a umbrella company that sorts the wages part of things.
guess going under the umbrella could be code for not paying taxes (Which if HMRC is reading this LOVE YOU GUYS)

im not sure what kind of work a student is doing
I think most Job Angecys are just as .. well Legit Gang Masters ... If only the word Slave Masters wasnt taken

Thanks for the reply, it definitely does not avoid taxes but you have the option to submit "expenses" to claim back things such as travel, lunch allowance and I'm sure there are a few others. When I read about it the payroll companies usually advice clients to put through fake expenses to claim back more. It would involve submitting these every week though. I would rather stay self employed and just submit my real expenses at the end of the year rather than feed into these vultures pockets. And by the way I'm not a student anymore actually finished the qualifications. Did the college route not a training centre

Just a heads up for anyone doing agency work. If you come across an agency called Ahearne stay well clear. They used to be called Gulmanda. I worked for them for 8days hired by an Irish woman called Jackie. She always uses a mobile never an office number. Tried to force me to go under the umbrella instead of self employed. When I have called her asking for my pay she sends messages like "in a meeting, I'm driving and I'm at the cinema". Hope this advice helps you.
what area are they based in ?

Agencies stopped paying us direct some time ago, stating that they would be deemed as employing us under IR35 if they continued.
We had to be paid via Pay Roll companies, which invariably were owned by the Agencies, and we had to pay a fee for the privilege.
Now do to the HMRC advising Agencies to look at their workers and check to see if they should be Self Employed or PAYE, many Agencies have decided to treat us as PAYE.
We still have to use a Pay Roll company and obviously pay for the privilege, but now we also have to pay the Employer's NI contribution.
This is because no one actually wants to be our employer.

I know of 3 Agencies which still do CIS, and they are the only ones I'm prepared to work for.
I've told all the other Agencies that I'm registered with to remove me from their lists.
They tell me that soon the HMRC will be looking at everyone who is still CIS, and I could be in trouble.
Apparently, I will be liable if the Agency pays me CIS when I should be paid PAYE.
Very odd, considering that it's the Employer's responsibility to deduct and pay any Tax and NI due.

Agencies stopped paying us direct some time ago, stating that they would be deemed as employing us under IR35 if they continued.
We had to be paid via Pay Roll companies, which invariably were owned by the Agencies, and we had to pay a fee for the privilege.
Now do to the HMRC advising Agencies to look at their workers and check to see if they should be Self Employed or PAYE, many Agencies have decided to treat us as PAYE.
We still have to use a Pay Roll company and obviously pay for the privilege, but now we also have to pay the Employer's NI contribution.
This is because no one actually wants to be our employer.

I know of 3 Agencies which still do CIS, and they are the only ones I'm prepared to work for.
I've told all the other Agencies that I'm registered with to remove me from their lists.
They tell me that soon the HMRC will be looking at everyone who is still CIS, and I could be in trouble.
Apparently, I will be liable if the Agency pays me CIS when I should be paid PAYE.
Very odd, considering that it's the Employer's responsibility to deduct and pay any Tax and NI due.

I've heard a few want you to be ltd now if you want to go cis.

If you are Ltd, then the Agencies will pay you direct, saving you ÂŁ18 to ÂŁ25 on the Pay Roll company fees.
Your Ltd Company will have to employ you, either PAYE or as a Sub Contractor.

Reply to Warning: Do not work for ahearne agency in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net