Discuss Was watching this the other day, expect most of you have seen it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Now I have know idea how the majority feel, a question was asked during the video series, and there are quite a few if you care to watch them.
Now one of the points raised was in regards to the 5 week course qualification, Part P etc, it appears that the ubiquitous Part P "Qualification" "course" call it what you like, is aimed at Practicing Electricians to enable them to become aware of the rules and regulations regarding electrical work within buildings especially Domestic Dwellings.
I was amazed at the likes of the delegates who believed this, because as most of us are aware, somehow this qualification / course has become a fast track for people to become members of CPSchemes, which allow these people to work in peoples houses doing electrical work, when in reality it's a fast track to print money, not only for the guys and Gals involved in these courses, but more importantly the CPSchemes. for as far as I can see you only have to get this pseudo qualification to be able to join a Scheme, along with all the insurances etc. Opinions Please,or not, in some cases.

Umm, even the IET seems to disagree..
This is taken from their electrical qualification page..
Domestic Installer (England and Wales only)
Since the introduction of Part P of the Building Regulations (Electrical Safety-Dwellings) the definition of Domestic Installer has been established. In the electrical industry Domestic Installers are not considered to be electricians; they are not required to undergo the 4 years’ training an apprentice has to. However, many electricians are registered Domestic Installers.

A Domestic Installer is generally expected to have at least a minimal understanding of installing new electrical installations and be familiar with the current requirements of BS 7671. The level of experience that a domestic installer may have varies very broadly. Many domestic installers are fully qualified electricians and have a wealth of experience in the electrical industry. However, there are also many who have not completed an apprenticeship or gained the equivalent qualifications and experience as an electrician. In fact, there are centres that provide training for people new to the electrical industry with no prior experience whatsoever. To register as a Domestic Installer two qualifications are generally required:

1. Current Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (17th Edition); and either
  2. Level 3 Award in the Initial Verification and Certification of Electrical Installations; or
  3. Level 3 Award in Approving Electrical Work in Dwellings in Compliance with Building Regulations.
These qualifications can be achieved relatively quickly with a recommended learning period of around 100 hours in total. That could be as little as 3 weeks depending on centre requirements and prior experience.

Domestic Installers will also be expected to provide evidence of work that they have carried out to demonstrate competence to an assessor from the scheme provider. The Domestic Installer generally chooses an installation that he or she would like to be inspected and makes the necessary preparations for the assessment.
So I dont know how they can say these quick courses are for qualified electricians ?
I dont really have a problem with Electrical Trainee Domestic installers that understand their limits and are honest, I get a bit annoyed with the ones that advertise as Electricians, mainly because its dangerous and secondly because im maybe a bit selfish.... The trouble is as many Electricians are registered as Domestic installers its hard to tell until they mess sonething up, personally i think the Domestic Installer title should be only used for the unqualified,
Domestic Electrician could be used for the qualified.

As you know im new to being self-employed im fortunate to have a customer base, but my customer base is mainly Commercial and Industrial, but when it comes down to getting myself out there in the Domestic market im competing against alot of these people, alot down my way are Fireman, ex police. Many have a bit of inheritance and can afford VW Transporter full vechile sign wraps. I have magnets on the side of my van At the moment, who looks more professional.

Another issue I have is this information is not relayed to the public.
I've spoken to a few people that thought they needed to use a "Domestic Installer" to comply with Part P.
We have had the conversation on here about Approved Electricians being confused with Aprroved contractors.

IMO its a mess.

Last edited:

Reply to Was watching this the other day, expect most of you have seen it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock