Discuss Washing machine and dryer supply in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
A washing machine (Hotpoint Aquarius WMAQF 641 P) and a tumble dryer (Candy GCC 590NB-80), which are well used in a hair salon, have a problem that the RCD regularly trips. The machines are plugged into a double socket which is supplied as a spur through 1.5mm flex cable in mini trunking. However, this is connected to a socket on the ring by a plug. I can't easily find the manufacturers power usage (2.1 and 5.2Kw?), which probably fluctuates a lot, depending the machine cycles. I plan to change the flex to the spur or extend the ring to the spur with 2.5mm T&E. Has anyone any other suggestions and a reason why the RCD trips?

Dare I ask if you ir'ed the circuit? The plugged in spur to a double socket supplying these two items doesn't sound sensible either. I doubt one of them is 5kw as that would take out a 13a fuse quite quickly ....

Hi,if it is the RCD which is letting go,you need to get a earth leakage meter,and maybe be prepared to power up the machines individually,and sit through the FULL cycle,remembering that each separate component,heater,pump,valve,etc,is capable of causing a problem.

This is academic,if the problem is the RCD or circuit itself.

A failing element of a washer or dryer will trip the RCD.

The most likely explanation is that one of these appliances has developed a small electrical leak to ground,
This is not unusual for laundry type appliances.
Especially ( well used ) !
An electrician with a megger type meter can test and verify.

A washing machine (Hotpoint Aquarius WMAQF 641 P) and a tumble dryer (Candy GCC 590NB-80), which are well used in a hair salon, have a problem that the RCD regularly trips. The machines are plugged into a double socket which is supplied as a spur through 1.5mm flex cable in mini trunking. However, this is connected to a socket on the ring by a plug. I can't easily find the manufacturers power usage (2.1 and 5.2Kw?), which probably fluctuates a lot, depending the machine cycles. I plan to change the flex to the spur or extend the ring to the spur with 2.5mm T&E. Has anyone any other suggestions and a reason why the RCD trips?

Simon, why don't you come up with some thoughts on why the RCD trips and we'll give you some feedback.

Simon, why don't you come up with some thoughts on why the RCD trips and we'll give you some feedback.

After all, someone's paying you to come up with the answers and if your electrical competence is sufficient to enable you to be doing this basic fault finding work then you should be able to provide them.

If it isn't, then you should limit yourself to only doing jobs that you have the knowledge and experience to complete safely or get yourself a job with someone who is competent so you can learn - I am sure you can understand why people on here might be reluctant to provide you with a whole answer as I'm sure you won't be telling your customer you are looking on forums for answers to stuff as basic as this (after all they are employing you for your 'expertise').

Reply to Washing machine and dryer supply in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock