Discuss Washing Machine Motor - Earth Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBEINST

Bit of a fast ball.

My missus is determined to have a new washing machine! I am more determined to spend that three hundred quid wisely investing it with william hill (other bookmakers could also be used(I'm not advertising)) whilst slurping strongbow.

Anyway our washing machine has wrapped it's ---- in after a paltry 8 years. Bosch, crap german engineering, surely had we bought a british model it would still be going strong!

Having stripped and analysed it to death I have established that there is a short to earth from the rotor. A new motor is £167 plus vat. Is there any hope of me being able to fix this fault and where in the rotor would the short be likely to occur. Would it be in the winding, if so it's game over.

Any help appreciated.

You've obviously properly diagnosed it is an earth fault???.
If so its very likely the winding but could be anywhere. Maybe bearing shot, followed by winding rubbing followed by failure.

Go on, buy her a new machine, its Christmas and you haven't got her a present yet. She'll love you for it.

usually the damage is quite evident in the windings of either rotor or stator windings.
and fixing them usually requires the rewinding of them.
unless you own a motor rewind shop its not worth trying to repair them.

Bit of a fast ball.

My missus is determined to have a new washing machine! I am more determined to spend that three hundred quid wisely investing it with william hill (other bookmakers could also be used(I'm not advertising)) whilst slurping strongbow.

Anyway our washing machine has wrapped it's ---- in after a paltry 8 years. Bosch, crap german engineering, surely had we bought a british model it would still be going strong!

Having stripped and analysed it to death I have established that there is a short to earth from the rotor. A new motor is £167 plus vat. Is there any hope of me being able to fix this fault and where in the rotor would the short be likely to occur. Would it be in the winding, if so it's game over.

Any help appreciated.
hmm....

Take the motor off.Look around the brushes for a layer of carbon dust.Use a vacuum cleaner and small paint brush to remove the dust. Could be one of the brushes is worn out and the spring has jumped out and is touching the frame.Hardly unlikely an armature fault to earth.With the brushes lifted its easy to to carry out an armature to earth test.One lead to commutator other to frame. Then test field with brushes still lifted one lead to frame other to brush box.Now you know which is faulty, armature or field. you might get a pre own replacement motor.Best of luck

I have stripped the motor and blown of all excess carbon with compressed air and then sprayed contacts with contact cleaner.

There is continuity between the commutator and the armature shaft.

I think she has won her new machine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm well impressed you could be bothered to strip down the motor, that's a man on a mission. Have you tried free cycle for a second machine for spares?

Mine broke her washer dryer with an earth fault on the dryer side (combined washer dryer, stupidly expensive). 38mA flowing to earth, RCD works:smile5:

Fault appears to be in control board and I really couldn't be bothered to strip that out to repair it, so dryer isolated internally (faulty circuit isolated at time of inspection) IR test now many Megs. No more winges about new washer (it works) and cheaper electric bills:coolgleamA:

Ah well at least you tried.Being an 8 year old machine a motor will cost as much as a new machine and, as some one said earlier if you did buy a motor some thing else will fail. One thing for sure you won't be able to fix the latest all digital, nor will the so called washing machine engineers/component changers, just like the car machanics.I don't think they change drum bearings any more,Scrap it.

I have treated her for christmas.

£192 for a new machine, new motor not much cheaper.

It's a no brainer.

Wasted a morning trying to repair but won't bother again.

Reply to Washing Machine Motor - Earth Fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net