Discuss Washing machine motor insulation testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jim1000

Hi all i'm a little stuck been asked by my folks to have a look at their washing machine as they all think if it has a plug on it i know the whole workings, design, and how to repair it. My problem is there seems to be a short on the motor when running i know its not the pump or element as have tested them and both fine. There is a blue flash when running and out goes the rcd. Now i know this may be a leak dripping onto motor but all seems dry. I cant seem to remember how to test the motor as there are multiple connection as ran off the pcb i have meggered the connections at 250 then 500v and seem to be getting good readings of plus 250 M ohms apart from the centre 2 connections where i am getting 7.5M ohms. Any pointers on washing machine motor testing will be greatly recieved.

Have you checked the brushes on the motor?

Yeah that was first on the list they dont look new but have still got a fair bit on them, the motor itself looks good as well no chunks missing out of either of them, i just wanted to make sure 100% electricaly safe, then just be a case of checking for leaks, but all seems tight and water proof may have to just run with top and back off see if i can see why then.

Maybe also drop the belt off and check the bearings for play. If they're collapsed it could also become an insulation problem when the rotor contacts the stator.

9 times out of 10, it's cheaper to replace the washing machine than to start trying to replace parts like the main motor. And if the machine is of any age, you may be struggling to find a replacement motor anyway...lol!! Seems to be 5 years and virtually everything has been changed or superseded. Well i suppose it's the throw away age we live in now!! lol!!

I've had two washing machines go west on me. On each occasion the commutator gets clogged up and creates a fault to earth which trips the socket ring RCD. I got fed up with buying a new washing machine and hardwired it into a FCU on the conveniently placed towel rail circuit. All the numbers were good and it's worked perfectly ever since.

Incidentaly "Haynes" do a washing machine manual (if you're interested).

Laurie

sounds like the motors shot
i had a strange fault on a w/m once, the rcd was tripping
the cause was a build up if insects inside the connection box where the supply flex goes
might be worth a looksee

The motor has a fault but it's not "shot".
A small proportion of the high start-up current tracks around the commutator and earths, tripping the RCD. As soon as the motor is turning the current is lower and all is well.

Sometimes the dust off the brushes can be an issue where it gets into areas where it can create a fault path. A good blow through with an airline to remove said dust may improve things. But as others have said, I should price up availability of a new motor before spending too much time on it...!

Reply to Washing machine motor insulation testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock