Discuss Washing Machine Tripping RCD? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vincef

Hi,

I changed a 20amp flex outlet plate, which fed a commercial washing machine, in a nusery, for a 1G SW socket with built in 30ma RCD protection, as none of the building/Installation had RCD proctection. The faulty commercial wash machine was being replaced with a domestic one with a 13a 3pin plug, hence why the 1G socket was installled. Was called back to day because the NEW highly electronic domestic washing machine with Digital screen kept tripping the 1G socket with built in 30ma RCD protection keeps tripping the rcd. Tested RCD with tester & another load no probs, NEW washing machine works well when plugged in to another circuit with out RCD protection, Think this could be caused by the washing machine nuisance tripping? Any ideas?

maybe you could chaage different plug type(commando socket) so no1 else could plug any other item in with standard 1363 pulgtop... obviously this electronic is using earth as functional.

ps. im only small fish in big pond so maybe wait for more suitable answer

Some times trips straight away when switched on & some times stays in then trips in spinning cycle, Do not understand how my own wash mach at home works ok on protected 30ma splitboard, but the one at nursery trips 1g buit in rcd socket, any one have more info? how can you RCD protect this type of wash mach in future?

FAULTY WASHING MACHINE??? just as its brandnew do NOT assume its all ok as wire inside could be rubbing on case ect ect ect causing rcd to trip
Assumption is the mother of all cockups

If you've tested the rcd within the socket and it checks out ok.........
then it can only be a faulty washer , new or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some manufacturers recommend different type Rcd's for there appliances. Due to the type of load. Especially with electronics.
Might be worth a check.
Have you ramp tested the Rcd?

Yep, faulty appliance/ cable flex. Had similar late last year. Nothings sacred.

Ineptitude & mediocrity exists in wash/mach manufacture as well.

Some times trips straight away when switched on & some times stays in then trips in spinning cycle, Do not understand how my own wash mach at home works ok on protected 30ma splitboard, but the one at nursery trips 1g buit in rcd socket, any one have more info? how can you RCD protect this type of wash mach in future?

Vincef
trust me its the appliance, a cable inside is caught causing the problem.
i rewired inlaws house 6 yrs ago installed a new CU with rcd when washer was on, it tripped rcd. inlaw said it never happened before!! i said yeh but you didnt have an rcd facility before either!!
just to confirm things i had a washer guy 10 doors away who plugged his computer into it to confirm my thoughts.

Ramp RCD to see at what point it trips, then clamp WM (using adapted ext lead) during normal operation and see what its functional earthing is.
Sounds very much like a faulty machine to me.

Reply to Washing Machine Tripping RCD? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net