Discuss Washing machine tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joolzhaines

Hi,

I have just had installed a new RCD consumer unit and the washing machine keeps tripping it, what should I do? the washing machine is only a few years old. Could it be an issue with the plug socket?

Also would installing a plug socket RCD as well stop it from tripping the main one or is this not a good idea?

Regards
Joolz

Check it doesn't have a small leak. I had this problem with a washer tripping RCD, there was a tiny leak dripping onto the motor coils! Were it not for the RCD the leak would have been barely noticeable. I'm sure the guys will have other suggestions too. Good luck.

Its likely to be an existing neutral-earth fault on the machine
This type of fault will sometimes be present and is not picked up by fuses or mcbs
Possible faults are the motor and heater elements
The rcd is likely doing its job by disconnecting a faulty load when the danger threshold is reached

A simple test you can do yourself is to operate a load eg a kettle on the same outlet and the non tripping will confirm where the problem lies
Fitting a seperate rcd will not be of help

Can you tell us when it trip i.e.

As soon as you plug it in
While its filling
after its filled
when its due to pump out
this would narrow down the fault and give us something to go on.

Hi,

It's tripping while it is washing, I am going to have to test/watch to see when it happens but it may be durring the spin!.

Joolz

Hi,

I have just had installed a new RCD consumer unit........ Could it be an issue with the plug socket?

Also would installing a plug socket RCD as well stop it from tripping the main one or is this not a good idea?

So, you do a DIY install with clearly insufficient knowledge, don't (know how to) test it, 'forget' that in doing so you've a)broken the law and b) put lives at risk, then come on to an internet forum where you expect to get us qualified and experienced electricians to help you out of your own cack?????????????!!!!!!!

Think again.

Well its best way if trips as it starts to spin its main motor if it fills and trips heating elements, if it trip just before fill then water solenoid valve, trips on plug in then timer card or suppressor fault.... you get the drift i think. Once you have an idea insulation tester but dont have electronics in line, also heting element may test low or clear but fault when hot as they expand. Elements can be checked easily if you have a No heat option on washer.

So, you do a DIY install with clearly insufficient knowledge, don't (know how to) test it, 'forget' that in doing so you've a)broken the law and b) put lives at risk, then come on to an internet forum where you expect to get us qualified and experienced electricians to help you out of your own cack?????????????!!!!!!!

Think again.

Bit heavy on the assumptions here Rockin.. i know plenty of sparkies good at what they do but clueless when it comes to the appliances, you may be right in what you say but give the OP the benefit first and ask him.

Think again.

Eh ???
At which point did the OP state he / she fitted the CU himself ?
And which "laws" have been broken exactly ?
Totally out of order response in my mind.

Just out of intrest have you put another apliance on the socket if that trips as well its not the washer. Just you dont say you have checked the power point.

Eh ???
At which point did the OP state he / she fitted the CU himself ?
And which "laws" have been broken exactly ?
Totally out of order response in my mind.

Biff - thanks for making me re-read the OP, and to the OP an apology. It does indeed say 'have just had installed' rather than 'have just installed' which is how I first read it.

And for the record - 'the law' of course refers to Part P.

:hanged:

Think again.

I get a server earwigging for saying something like that!

I get a server earwigging for saying something like that!

^^^ one up. Hey, it's pouring down raining and I've ended up with having to have a Parental day with a house full of teenagers on half term. I'm allowed to get grumpy sometimes!

Biff - thanks for making me re-read the OP, and to the OP an apology. It does indeed say 'have just had installed' rather than 'have just installed' which is how I first read it.

And for the record - 'the law' of course refers to Part P.

:hanged:

No worries , just another blonde moment , we all have them lol.
Just as a side issue though , a homeowner / DIYer can fit a CU themselves and still comply with part p
All they need to do is notify building control in advance , pay fees , and have job inspected & tested by competent person.
Simples.

Just as a side issue though , a homeowner / DIYer can fit a CU themselves and still comply with part p All they need to do is notify building control in advance , pay fees , and have job inspected & tested by competent person.
Simples.

The next time I see our LBO, I'll ask him how many times his office gets asked to do that. Shall we start a book running on his answer?

*** edit ***
Let's not hijack the thread into a Part P debate lads!

Hi,

It's tripping while it is washing, I am going to have to test/watch to see when it happens but it may be durring the spin!.

Joolz
Another possibility if it is whilst spinning is that some internal cables have come loose and are hitting the body of the machine wearing through the insulation and thereby tripping the RCD, I would have thought that this would be an intermittent thing in the main.

Think again.

Hi,

You mis-understand, I got a "qualified and experienced electrician" to do it not myself, now he has gone I am trying to fix one device which is tripping the system.

Regards
Julian

Reply to Washing machine tripping RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net