Discuss Waste Carrier Registration in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was told that it wasnt waste until you have sorted it. So as long as you take a small bit with back with you to reuse, you are ok.

Also the place I take my scrap to wont pay for things like plug tops, steel wire etc but they will let you put them in their bin. So if you sort your waste at the scrappers you dont need a waste transfer licence.

So my scrap isnt waste until I 'sort' it at the scrap merchants and they will take my waste! Jobs a good un!

No, it changed in January 2014.
Anyone who carries any waste, and that includes cable for recyling, needs to carry a waste carriers licence.
The scrap metal rules also changed last year, ICBA to find the reference, but dealing in scrap metal needs a separate Licence now too, so if you are pulled over at a spot check, and you have any waste in there, they can fine you for scrap metal dealing, or waste transfer.

In addition, electrical waste is subject to the WEEE Regs, so if a Government/Council Officer is having a bad day, and he stops you,then you could be fined for 3 separate offences, by carrying scrap cable, an old fan, and some old socket pattress boxes.

As you know, the majority of small traders do not bother to pay the £154 for 3 years, and hope they will never be pulled over.

Got a link for that?

I think you'll find that if you carry other peoples waste, you need to register for the 'upper tier' which is £154.
Lower tier carriers can only carry their own waste, such as a small factory unit taking the rubbsih they make on the premises.

Not any longer, it is construction or demolition waste, so you need an Upper Tier Licence.
It changed in January.

No, I'm not defending it, I think it has been done very badly, but I'm pointing out that the majority of small traders are now breaking the Law.

According to my scam provider (NAPIT) registration is free for plumbers and electricians. When I registered I started following one route and got the £154 charge. Went another route and got it for free. According to my certificate I can carry my own business waste unless it's construction or demolition waste. We're electricians, not builders, so whatever waste we carry around will be old bits of cable and the odd past-it pattress/light fitting, etc - don't think they count as the intended "construction waste". And as my CPS operator says I'm OK with the free registration, they can help me fight it if it ever comes to anything.

pj

According to my scam provider (NAPIT) registration is free for plumbers and electricians. When I registered I started following one route and got the £154 charge. Went another route and got it for free. According to my certificate I can carry my own business waste unless it's construction or demolition waste. We're electricians, not builders, so whatever waste we carry around will be old bits of cable and the odd past-it pattress/light fitting, etc - don't think they count as the intended "construction waste". And as my CPS operator says I'm OK with the free registration, they can help me fight it if it ever comes to anything.

pj

I Know this is an older thread, and there may well be newer ones on the forum, but I am going down the road of Waste Carrier Registration, and having spoken to the Environment Agency helpline to check if I come under the lower tier and they sent me this taken from their guide:-

This information will help you decide which waste carrier tier you fit into and answer the construction question on the application.

Definition of construction and demolition waste

Construction and demolition (C&D) waste is produced through the repair, alteration, maintenance or demolition of any building or infrastructure.
It can be produced as part of a large construction project or smaller business activities e.g. a general builder replacing a bathroom in a domestic house.
The definition of 'construction' in the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 includes improvement, repair and alteration.
Construction and demolition may include wastes from the carrying out of any building, civil engineering or engineering construction work including:

• the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, upkeep, redecoration or other maintenance (including cleaning which involves the use of water or an abrasive at high pressure or the use of corrosive or toxic substances), de-commissioning, demolition or dismantling of a structure
  • the preparation for an intended structure, including site clearance, exploration, investigation (but not site survey) and excavation, and the clearance or preparation of the site or structure for use or occupation at its conclusion
  • the assembly on site of prefabricated elements to form a structure, or the disassembly on site of prefabricated elements which, immediately before such disassembly, formed a structure
  • the removal of a structure or of any product or waste resulting from demolition or dismantling of a structure, or from disassembly of prefabricated elements which immediately before such disassembly formed such a structure
  • the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair or removal of mechanical, electrical, gas, compressed air, hydraulic, telecommunications, computer or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a structure

So in my eyes another £154.00 to the government

You can't expect the local household re-cycling centres to accept a constant stream of waste from traders who are making money from jobs and then expecting tax payers to pay for the removal of all the waste. Daz

I agree.

This came about after a visit to CEF and informed that even if I take my waste lamps etc to their site to be recycled, there is now a charge for an issue of the paperwork.

And the fact I have the old lamps in the van I need a license.

Me too, except I once had a miserable old sh!te ring me a couple of days after completing a job [all done spot on] and demanded I return immediately to remove the two old Wylex units that I'd left in a black bag for him to dispose of. Some people eh !:)

Haha! You should have told him they are worth loads to some 'collectors' and he should get them on ebay!! Or I would have said it's your old equipment and your property. I have explained to clients in the past about the Env Agency licence and that I could be fined for taking people's waste. They are usually cool about it. If they are not I just hoy it in their bin on the way out!

What a load of absolute bloody nonsense. No doubt some EU crap, we won't have to bother soon. Just leave it at the bottom of the garden the local eastern EU guys will come and collect it, and of course they will be fully qualified and certificated to do so. I bet we won't be able to move on the roads soon for EA vans chasing us everywhere and undertaking spot checks.........

There is a difference between "waste" and "scrap". The waste carriers licence,which would apply to any tradesman,carrying waste generated partly or wholly as a result of paid work.

There is a separate "scrap collection licence" which applies to the collection and transport of scrap,from others,for reward or as part of a business.

If the scrap is yours,which it becomes when the customer allows,and you are not sharing or handing over the cash,then you can weigh it in,in the same way any member of the public can,subject to the recyclers' registration policy,and any HMRC directives concerning income/benefits in kind etc.

There are many,many scare stories,mainly generated by those with an agenda,regarding rules,regs,that are supposedly forced upon us,by either a nanny-state,or more recently,the EU...

Many are attempts at curing problems,the people i refer to above,are whinging about also. Some are safety related,others are purely financial.

A good example is the HGV industry. To look at what is required,as driver,including all the add-ons,licences and tickets...you would not bother.

I have kept my licence,as now and again,i require to use or drive such items. It may be a low-loader,crane,access platform or horsebox.

I escape many of the requirements,employed drivers have,as the law allows this. There are many exemptions,such as demonstration,repair,emergency etc which if apply,negate further permissions.

...So cheer up...i have had very little medical training,and never studied as a doctor...but i cut the cord,on both my sons,and i haven't been arrested yet :coolgleamA:

Haha! You should have told him they are worth loads to some 'collectors' and he should get them on ebay!! Or I would have said it's your old equipment and your property. I have explained to clients in the past about the Env Agency licence and that I could be fined for taking people's waste. They are usually cool about it. If they are not I just hoy it in their bin on the way out!

He was a proper self important t### mate, I did tell him I was too busy to drop everything and pander to his nonsense. :wink: He was one of those older people who thinks everybody should be running round for him, even said help myself to tea provided I made him one at the same time when I was working there !:smile5:

Reply to Waste Carrier Registration in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net