Discuss Watchdog - My Home UK (MyHomeUK) Feedback and Reviews in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A deafening silence ...... as usual!

Probably so as I'm not sure ELECSA (sure website says they are ELECSA registered) would be interested in how any company conducts its selling techniques so long as the work is to the required standard. However, I would love to see them get involved and distance themselves from companies like this.

Probably so as I'm not sure ELECSA (sure website says they are ELECSA registered) would be interested in how any company conducts its selling techniques so long as the work is to the required standard. However, I would love to see them get involved and distance themselves from companies like this.

Well from the sounds of it (I didn't see the programme) EICRs have been falsified to glean work, surely that should be of interest. Then again, now they are part of the certsure gang, probably not.

Well from the sounds of it (I didn't see the programme) EICRs have been falsified to glean work, surely that should be of interest. Then again, now they are part of the certsure gang, probably not.

I only caught the back end of it so I'm not sure what was in the EICR and whether it was warranted. I heard the presenter say things had been repeated in the EICR - so one fault listed as more than one code - but never heard anything about stuff being on there that shouldn't be.

Just watched it, disgusting trading methods, to be honest you only have to look at the guys highlighted, typical get rich quick merchants. It's not confined to this company though, double glazing. I had BG come around to my place a few years back trying to flog me plumbing/electrical cover, so being a sparks (no I didn't let on, this engineer started his spiel, a bit like matey boy on Watchdog.
So I let him carry out a few tests with his socket and see plug in jobby, he had a look at the CU which only has 1 RCD which was OK at the time of the build of my house. The problem came to a head when he started to quote Regs and the like, I started to smirk a little, I think the penny finally dropped and I had to tell him I was a Spark, he wasn't a happy Bunny. packed his kit and left.
This was a Well known outfit BG, these Cowboys need stamping out, it was a disgrace the way they spoke a bout the Old Lady, her Son hit the nail on the head when he said, how would these scum like it if someone spoke to their Mum or Dad the way they did,
£2.5 K for a new CU and a few face plates, after the expose I i hope the Law catches up with them.
Rant over:rage:

Just received this e-mail from ELECSA:

ELECSA has suspended one of its registrants following an investigation by BBC TV’s Watchdog programme.

MyHome Installations Ltd, based in Maidstone, Kent, was investigated by Watchdog following concerns over the selling techniques deployed by the company. The programme, which aired on BBC One (November 2), alleged the firm was pressure-selling electrical checks and additional work to vulnerable people.

Emma Clancy, CEO of ELECSA commented: “We were alarmed at some of the acts uncovered by the report and obviously take such matters very seriously.

“The customer has been assessed regularly and there are no concerns over their technical competence. However, while the sales technique of our customers is not part of our regular assessment process we are shocked by the conduct displayed by individuals representing MyHome Installations Ltd.

“We have therefore taken the step to suspend MyHome Installations Ltd, limiting them from using the ELECSA brand to take on and notify any work while a full and a thorough investigation is underway.

“The ELECSA brand is one associated with excellence and we felt this action was necessary to assure the public about the expected conduct of our registrants and uphold the reputation of other ELECSA registrants."

Ano mate been proper hectic, work coming out of my ears, had a fair bit of jolly time as well so everything got neglected!

How's the flats etc coming along?

haha good man. Flats are completed mate, got a few biggish commercial jobs on ATM. Ones a new build office block that's all oak framed and we are in there a bit late so proving to be a bit of a challenge hiding everything and the other is 100,000 sqft over 3 floors all new containment the lot. Extension on a grammar school starting December and 1 site of 17 houses starting Jan and another of 14 houses starting March so will be a mad rush up to Christmas and a busy new year.:)

It is all very well ELESCA looking into this after a nationwide broadcast and it makes me wonder how many more of these parasites there are out there.

Clear misrepresentations that amount to fraud. I can see a lot of cowboys scaring people into unnecessary over priced work on legally safe installations that are not up to current Regs specifications. We've already seen posts on here from people selling homes questioning reports requesting monies for upgrades to current Regs specifications. Will be interesting to see if police of trading standards run with it.

Nice to see the NICEIC/Elecsa are doing their job properly and punishing their rouge members.
According to my homes website they are registered with Elecsa. according to the competent persons register website they areally registered with Elecsa.
According to Elecsa website they are NOT!
They have ovesally been removed in the last few days since filming

It is all very well ELESCA looking into this after a nationwide broadcast and it makes me wonder how many more of these parasites there are out there.
Loads probably, Westy I just wonder if a few brown envelope were passed around to give these cowboys a creditable score.

Had an email from Elecsa, saying;

'ELECSA suspends contractor following TV investigation

ELECSA has suspended one of its registrants following an investigation by BBC TV’s Watchdog programme.

MyHome Installations Ltd, based in Maidstone, Kent, was investigated by Watchdog following concerns over the selling techniques deployed by the company. The programme, which aired on BBC One (November 2), alleged the firm was pressure-selling electrical checks and additional work to vulnerable people.

Emma Clancy, CEO of ELECSA commented: “We were alarmed at some of the acts uncovered by the report and obviously take such matters very seriously.

“The customer has been assessed regularly and there are no concerns over their technical competence. However, while the sales technique of our customers is not part of our regular assessment process we are shocked by the conduct displayed by individuals representing MyHome Installations Ltd.

“We have therefore taken the step to suspend MyHome Installations Ltd, limiting them from using the ELECSA brand to take on and notify any work while a full and a thorough investigation is underway.

“The ELECSA brand is one associated with excellence and we felt this action was necessary to assure the public about the expected conduct of our registrants and uphold the reputation of other ELECSA registrants."

So there. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Nowt would have been done if the likes of us had called Elecsa. I have tried to complain about certsure registered traders before now and I have been told to go away as they will only entertain a direct complaint from the customer.
Now they are saying that they will suspend traders for not even breaking any of their rules if they appear on a national programme !

I think the lesson here is clear, if you have a problem with a certsure registered trader and their brands will not listen, go public with it until they are forced to do something to protect their facade.

Reply to Watchdog - My Home UK (MyHomeUK) Feedback and Reviews in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock