Discuss Water Distiller Temp Adjustment in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fife43

-
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for adding me to the forum. I am wondering if there is anything that would enable me to control and lessen the temp of my water distiller. I know that adjustable temp water distillers are available but would like to keep using the one I have if cheaply possible to adjust. It is 240v, 750w 50/60hz, Cheers.

all depends what he wants to distill.

chuck a bottle of voddie in there, that should lower the temperature. don't need an electrician for this.. :p

See your training is coming along well, bottle of Iced voddie cures lots of things :p:D

Hi guys I am trying to extract essential oils and as I understand it heats up too quickly.

Thanks Lee. I am not too sure what you mean by a ramp rate. Will this setup take about an hour to reach 100 deg? Is it possible to set a top temp (say 70 deg), with this? Does it need to be incorporated into the case of the distiller or could it be used if isolated in some way outside it okay? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again.

ramp rate means how long it takes to ramp up the temperature. or you can use the PID to control power to the water boiler, or to hold it at a given temperature. though controlling the temperature at 70C is not gonna help you distill water.. ?

Thanks Lee. I am not too sure what you mean by a ramp rate. Will this setup take about an hour to reach 100 deg? Is it possible to set a top temp (say 70 deg), with this? Does it need to be incorporated into the case of the distiller or could it be used if isolated in some way outside it okay? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again.

Yes it will maintain your 70 deg set point (SP) within 0.1 degree or so. And you can dictate how long it takes to get to 70 deg by adjusting the ramp rate.

E.g. Set the SP to 70 and it will take 1 hour to heat (in your case) 70 degrees from zero. If the liquid (PV 0r process value of the water at rest) is 20 can set the ramp to 50 to heat to 70 in 1 hour or 100 for a 30 minute ramp.

I've used those cheap Chinese controllers and relays and they work quite well.

The supply to the heating element goes through the relay. The controller controls that relay and the temp probe from the controller goes into the liquid or in a thermowell that's incorporated into your vessel somehow.

Last edited:
ramp rate means how long it takes to ramp up the temperature. or you can use the PID to control power to the water boiler, or to hold it at a given temperature. though controlling the temperature at 70C is not gonna help you distill water.. ?
Thanks Karin. I want to extract essential oils so not distilling water and the oils are very delicate, cheers.

Yes it will maintain your 70 deg set point (SP) within 0.1 degree or so. And you can dictate how long it takes to get to 70 deg by adjusting the ramp rate.

E.g. Set the SP to 70 and it will take 1 hour to heat (in your case) 70 degrees from zero. If the liquid (PV 0r process value of the water at rest) is 20 can set the ramp to 50 to heat to 70 in 1 hour or 100 for a 30 minute ramp.

I've used those cheap Chinese controllers and relays and they work quite well.
Thanks Lee that sounds like just the ticket cheers.

...but extracting essential oils is usually made possible by distillation (or pressing), not by soaking in hot water.. ? don't mean to start going off topic, though. the PID will do the job you want, there's plenty of guides to wiring them up online, you can either incorporate it into the unit or use externally depends on the water distiller design. for these purposes it's essentially a thermostat

Yes using isopropyl alcohol to extract and the distiller to boil it off and reclaim most of the iso. As alcohol boils off at lower temp that is why I was looking to make the distiller adjustable and the oils are the delicate part so the fact that I can programme the ramp up time and temp with this device is brilliant. Thanks for the info cheers.

Reply to Water Distiller Temp Adjustment in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock