Discuss Water on hob- tripped RCD- how to fix? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First of all, apologies if this doesn’t make sense- I will try and explain as best as I can.

A pot boiled over on the hob and quite a bit of water was laying on hob. I wiped it up and turned of gas. However this appeared to trip the RCD. The only way I could reset the RCD was by turning the cooker part on the switchboard off. Every time I turn the cooker part back on, it trips again.

Any suggestions on what to do now? Is it likely to dry out or do you think I will need an electrician?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Agree with Murdoch, give it a day to dry out. You could try pointing a desk fan at the area where the spillage was to aid the drying out process.

Hi,is the hob separate to the cooker? Maybe the hob igniter is on the cooker circuit,or the water has made it down to the cooker feed.

On occasion,water can find it's way to an area where drying out,is not easily achieved,so identifying the circuit affected,is your first task.

Hi,is the hob separate to the cooker? Maybe the hob igniter is on the cooker circuit,or the water has made it down to the cooker feed.

On occasion,water can find it's way to an area where drying out,is not easily achieved,so identifying the circuit affected,is your first task.

The cooker is not below the hob but they are on the same switch on the switchboard so can’t get the hob or cooker to come on?

If you're keen to get it back on fast, you could try your hair dryer on it perhaps. The trick is to find the spot where the water and cabling have met up and dry that out.

if the hob igniter is on a plug, unplug it and see if the RCD will hold then.

Thanks did this and at least I can now turn oven on!
you can also use the hob.light with one of those gas lighter jobbies.
1000019307_main.jpg

you can also use the hob.light with one of those gas lighter jobbies.

I did think of this but I couldn’t as everytine I turned hob on at plug socket it tripped the RCD thing so couldn’t use hob (or cooker or lights or other plug sockets).

However the hob is now working again, thanks for all advice. It is now sparking continuously but hoping that will stop when it eventually dries out?
1000019307_main.jpg

Reply to Water on hob- tripped RCD- how to fix? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net