Discuss Water pipe installed above db in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

staffok

While I was on holiday a plumber as run a water pipe over a distribution board, I cannot seem to find any regs regarding this. Any help appreciated

Maybe there aren't any. The regs cannot possibly cover every possible situation but you can take some and apply them to yours.
When you say "Over a DB" what exactly do you mean by that? Some pictures would help us advise you properly.

if it's blocking access to the DB then get him to shift it. if not, as long as it's causing no detriment, it's OK.

I'd only worry about this if the environment was one where there's a significant risk of the water pipe getting damaged.

As above as long as its not got any joints that will run off on to the DB if leaking then its fine... this includes the piping arrangment been the lowest point at the DB where any leak could track down the pipe length and drip off at the lowest point, it could be called for changing the environment requirements for the board to be IP rated as joints etc give hightened risk of a leak and if plumbing fitted after then you may raise it from that perpective.

I remember a similar scenario to this,in a mates house,Victorian terrace with 2" lead main running through each cellar,6 properties in all,with wiped or compression joints near to boards in each house...survey pulled this as an issue needing "urgent attention". They recommended swapping to new alkathene supply and stop cock. New supply in,previous lead blanked. But now,there is a NEW joint,mechanical,as close to tee as possible (reduce dead-leg),and rest cannot be touched as supplying other properties! So now,issue is possibly WORSE than before,discounting lead removal,surveyor visits for release of retention,and says "Oh well,you tried..."

My Consumer Unit (installed by me) shares a cupboard with its friends Electric Meter and Gas Meter in my downstairs cloakroom.

Running horizontally on the wall about 2 feet above Consumer Unit are Mr Central Heating Flow pipe and below him Mr Central Heating Return pipe (also installed by me). They all get on well, play nicely together and do not drip on each other or spark at each other.

So, as long as pipe joints are properly made (mine are all soldered) and the pipes properly supported and protected against frost what's the problem??

It's hardly likely that they are going to be wiped out by a stacker truck in a domestic situation is it??

Leave the damned pipe alone and find something else to mither about!!!

...Having read this thread,i am starting to question my decision to fit a sprinkler above my DB in case of a fire...:bow:

...Having read this thread,i am starting to question my decision to fit a sprinkler above my DB in case of a fire...:bow:

better off with a CO2 device. less mess.

Any ceiling mounted pipework where it is unavoidable, that passes thru an electrical room or other restricted space will be run in a wall to wall PVC duct/pipe on most of the projects i've worked on. But 99% of the time they will be routed around such areas....

As for CO2/halon type discharge systems, i've seen them cause more damage and problems to the area they are protecting. Mainly from suspended ceiling mountings that are not up to the job of rigidity during the discharge. Anyone seen a 32mm steel pipe being thrown about like twig off a tree smashing everything in it's path?? Seen that on more than one occasion, thankfully all during the discharge testing of the system.

Something else to consider is if it is a cold water pipe and a damp area such as a cellar then you can get condensation forming on the outside of the pipe which may drop onto the fuseboard.

I have encountered this problem in a pub cellar where the warmth of the beer chillers combined with the coldness of the pipe led to a lot of condensation dripping.

A little bit of rust has formed on the top of the board where the paint had chipped. The company doing the EICR wanted to replace the board. I cleaned the rust back to bare metal, painted the metal with a dab of hammerite and fixed an angled bit of paxoline above the board to direct the drips away from it.
No need to remove a perfectly good TPN DB just for a few spots of rust, the water hadn't got inside the board at all.

Reply to Water pipe installed above db in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock