Discuss water treatment plants in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave the spark

Hi,

Dunno if starting a thread in here is the right place to do so, if it's not I'll be happy for admin to advise me on a better forum and move or delete this thread.

Anyways, has anyone ever worked in inspection and testing specifically in water treatment plants? I've been alerted to a job opportunity and was wondering what kind of environment it was to work in?
I realise a circuit is a circuit is a circuit but any info would be appreciated. I've worked in mainly domestic but I've done some commercial in shops, bars and factory units. My experience in commercial is limited to the last year or so and it's something that interests me, I also think it would be a good progression for my career both in experience and further opportunities.

Thanks.

Water treatment plants are obviously industrial, lots of 3phase, lots of motors fed by SWA, soft start variable drives, Star Delta contactors, discharge lighting systems, various control panels, etc.
To my mind, the main drawback, is the exposure to every disease that the population the plant services has contracted.

I used to lots of work for Thames Water they have some fascinating Victorian buildings and subterranean structures. The only problem which wasn't that bad was the smell but you get used to it. A circuit is a circuit whether domestic, commercial or industrial and it is only if you are working on the process circuits that you may have some difficulty but I wouldn't mind betting the testing doesn't include this.

Water treatment plants are obviously industrial, lots of 3phase, lots of motors fed by SWA, soft start variable drives, Star Delta contactors, discharge lighting systems, various control panels, etc.
To my mind, the main drawback, is the exposure to every disease that the population the plant services has contracted.

Testing 3 phase and motor circuits is fine. I've never worked with discharge lighting or much in the way of control panels. As a fixed wire tester the circuits supplying these would obviously have different limitations I'm guessing as the plant will be working.

From the conversation I've had, the engineering firm hiring are very good at giving the training necessary to gain the necessary knowledge in the job. I'm weary of domestic work and I want to progress my knowledge and ability as an electrician. The disease doesn't sound great though!:confused:

The likelyhood of you catching any disease is remote they are well controlled environments.

I used to lots of work for Thames Water they have some fascinating Victorian buildings and subterranean structures. The only problem which wasn't that bad was the smell but you get used to it. A circuit is a circuit whether domestic, commercial or industrial and it is only if you are working on the process circuits that you may have some difficulty but I wouldn't mind betting the testing doesn't include this.

That was my thinking. The money is better and just the opportunity to do something more interesting than clamber over other people's messy belongings whilst breathing in their 40 smokes second hand is appealing!

Water treatment (i.e. purification of fresh water) or sewage treatment? Different product, similar electrical plant.

I'm currently putting a CV together, having never had or needed one. Any pointers on structure would be very helpful, or even a pointer to a thread or forum.

Reply to water treatment plants in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net